Hinderwell - N Gauge in the West Riding

woodyfox

Hi, 

I've built a row of stone houses on a rise in front of the 4 track section. 

The roofs are next on the list of to do's but to my eye the curtains are way too bright! 

IMG_20231031_161219.jpg.4dbb768b8a2871e2df33fcd356a028ec.jpg

I know it's the 70s and oranges and pinks are all the rage but surely this is too far.. 

Cheers

Stu

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, woodyfox said:

Hi, 

Back in July my daughter left home to live in Uni accommodation. She vacated our converted loft space. 

After I pleaded with her (for a few seconds ) not to leave her room so I could finally build a layout in a dry, warm, decent sized room. 

It was all to no avail and so I was forced to begin building Hinderwell. 

Based in the West Riding of Yorkshire somewhere, it's a 10'6 by 7' oblong roundy with a sliding drawer storage yard that's (very annoyingly) 5mm too short for a full Eastern Region HST. The baseboards are open plan 12mm ply with the track base 12mm ply atop 12"spaced uprights. 

It's a four track mainline for half the run reducing to two lines over a swingbridge. Then there's a through station (with removed middle road) leading to a single lead rationalised junction. 

Track is Peco code 55 with electrofrogs, the storage bit utilises code 80. It's DCC with turnouts controlled by analogue Cobalt motors. Signalling will be 3 aspect colour light using Absolute Aspects signals.

IMG_20231031_161720.jpg.c9c9c1b3ffc82b057a9dfbbfa96183ee.jpg

The storage yard has 14 lines and I use brass tube soldered to the outside of the rails with brass wire L shapes to align the tracks through the tubes. This also provides sufficient current flow. 

IMG_20231031_161321.jpg.6c678ba7081028a704ac229ff204b477.jpg

This is the single lead junction out of the storage sidings leading to the station area. Beyond this around the far curve is the swing bridge. 

IMG_20231101_170826.jpg.5e099131a383e1d2ad21d0f2e13f03be.jpg

This is the swing bride area. The river bed is being prepared for a resin pour. The flat area will have a redundant industrial building on it. 

As it's West Yorkshire in the 70s, i've  built some stock to cover gaps in the RTR range. This includes class 104, 110 and 124 DMU's. 

Here's the 6 car Transpennine class 124 crossing the Hinderwell swing bridge with the Calder Valley 3 car class 110 passing in the other direction. 

Cheers

Stu

That swing bridge looks rather good.  Does it open ?

Adrian

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, woodyfox said:

Hi, 

I've built a row of stone houses on a rise in front of the 4 track section. 

The roofs are next on the list of to do's but to my eye the curtains are way too bright! 

IMG_20231031_161219.jpg.4dbb768b8a2871e2df33fcd356a028ec.jpg

I know it's the 70s and oranges and pinks are all the rage but surely this is too far.. 

Cheers

Stu

Hi Generally you see the white lining cloth not the colour if a quality curtain and I guess a 1970s street would only have the best twitching quality of curtain!  But a lovely build and doing it on a slope adds a realism oft missed - unless modelling a modern flood plain Barrett homes disaster site/ housing estate.

Robert  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

wow that is only the second 124 I have seen in N gauge , first was on Saturday on Nine Mills at Gaydon.

lovely layout and proves every cloud has a silver lining. 

Robert  

Hi Robert, 

This 124 utilises the Worsley Works etches with Minitrix MK1s providing the frames, bogies and roofs. The underframe equipment is scratch built. I believe someone does a 3d printed version? 

Cheers

Stu

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi Generally you see the white lining cloth not the colour if a quality curtain and I guess a 1970s street would only have the best twitching quality of curtain!  But a lovely build and doing it on a slope adds a realism oft missed - unless modelling a modern flood plain Barrett homes disaster site/ housing estate.

Robert  

On reflection you're absolutely correct. Abigails party would of course have been repleat with lined drapes - i'll adjust prior to fitting the roofs. 

Thanks

Stu 

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2023 at 19:54, Robert Shrives said:

I don't recall curtain linings being a thing in the 70s. Bright colours yes, but once the roof is on the colour might become more subdued, unless the houses are  being lit internaly...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Hi all, 

I've added some greenery to the swing bridge scene and completed the two-part resin pour on the river. I think it's OK - no leaks! 

The below video clips show the progress utilising my full ER HST with power cars 43078 and 43079 shattering the Sunday morning peace with the Paxman units on full tilt. A class 108 on a local passes in the other direction almost unnoticed.... 

Cheers 

Stu 

• Like 3