Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Plux socket adapters

Morning all,

was wondering if I could pick your collective brains on this one. I’ve got a kernow railmotor on order and would like som advice about the plux22 socket it has been fitted with.

I’m an early adopter of Hornby’s bluetooth DCC system HM7000 and am slowly working my way through my collection of locos. Naturally I want the railmotor to be included in this, which brings me to my dilemma, as it doesn’t seem like there will be an HM7000 plux anything soon.

However, I have discovered the below:

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/esu/adapter-board-18-pin-next-18-socket-to-plux12

which should allow me to use the NXT18 version of the decoder, hopefully including sound through the on board speaker.

But I do have some queries, which brings me to the collective knowledge of RMWeb :)

1. is this actually the best option or is there another adapter out there that I have completely missed?

2. I know that plux decoders can fit into sockets with a greater number of pins, ergo this plux12 socket will fit in the plux22 of the railmotor, but I’m not entirely sure about what level of reduced functionality this will create. I really just want sound and to be able to turn the lights on and off - does anyone know if this will be possible

3. Has anyone used one of these adapters before? Are there any tips/tricks out there that I should know about?

thanks to you all in advance

edge

• RMweb Premium

I've used the ESU 21MTC - NEXT18 adaptor without any problems. ESU's a reliable make, and Coastal DCC are a great shop so I suspect you won't have any problems with the Next18 to Plux12 adaptor..

You should have control over sound, drive, F0 and the green & violet Aux1 & Aux2. The Next 18 has a couple of extra outputs that aren't supported on the Plux12.

SB.

• 3 months later...
On 06/11/2023 at 20:51, Edge said:

Thank you all. After having searched a bit more, this appears to be very much the only game in town :) so I shan’t bother anyone with phone calls, I’ll just leap in and have a go :)

Do you mind me asking how you got on? 

Bachman’s new class 69 specs mention a Plux22 socket. I use exclusively the HM7000 chips in Bluetooth mode so it would be good to know if the adapter linked above will allow things to work. 

13 hours ago, Denny said:

Do you mind me asking how you got on? 

Bachman’s new class 69 specs mention a Plux22 socket. I use exclusively the HM7000 chips in Bluetooth mode so it would be good to know if the adapter linked above will allow things to work. 

It went well, there is a limited functionality (for instance, the internal lights don’t work) but that’s not a dealbreaker for me. Basically, I have sound, motion and directional lighting. There is a vague chance that there might be a bit more for the 69, but it would depend upon the specific functions of the model and how it was all wired.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Edge said:

It went well, there is a limited functionality (for instance, the internal lights don’t work) but that’s not a dealbreaker for me. Basically, I have sound, motion and directional lighting. There is a vague chance that there might be a bit more for the 69, but it would depend upon the specific functions of the model and how it was all wired.

Absolutely brilliant! Thank you for the video, that's completely alleviated my concerns. Like you, I don't mind too much as long as the thing moves and a light or two works!

Thanks again!

Edited by Denny