RMweb

Cordless mini drill

• RMweb Premium
On 06/11/2023 at 17:10, BMS said:

Today I purchased one looking like a Dremel; rechargeable  4v about £12 from Aldi.  Adjustable speed 5k to 24k rpm 

"4v Li-ion Rotary tool " 42 accessories included. USB to USB C charging lead.

I've not used it yet 

Probably not as good as a Dremel but a useful device I guess. 

Hope that helps:mellow:

This appears to be similar to "Dremel Lite 7760 N/10 4V Li-Ion Cordless Rotary Tool Variable Speed Multi-Purpose Rotary Tool Kit," - the price differential could well to be due to torque or life

I've just had a look at this one.  It's a neat and seemingly well built little instrument that runs nice and smoothly and looks very similar indeed to the Dremel Lite unit.  However, from my point of view it has a major fault (shared I think with the Dremel) in that it comes with a single 3.2mm collet which basically means that it can't be used with anything with a shaft narrower than 3.2mm.  That's no doubt why the tools that come with it largely comprise grinding and sanding accessories, together with two 3.2mm drill bits.  It certainly means that I wouldn't be able to use any of the small drills that I would otherwise have hoped to use with it.  My bigger and somewhat clumsier Lidl's rotary tool, on the other hand, has a collet adjustable down to about 0.5mm.

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Torper said:

I've just had a look at this one.  It's a neat and seemingly well built little instrument that runs nice and smoothly and looks very similar indeed to the Dremel Lite unit.  However, from my point of view it has a major fault (shared I think with the Dremel) in that it comes with a single 3.2mm collet which basically means that it can't be used with anything with a shaft narrower than 3.2mm.  That's no doubt why the tools that come with it largely comprise grinding and sanding accessories, together with two 3.2mm drill bits.  It certainly means that I wouldn't be able to use any of the small drills that I would otherwise have hoped to use with it.  My bigger and somewhat clumsier Lidl's rotary tool, on the other hand, has a collet adjustable down to about 0.5mm.

I replaced the collet on one of mine with a genuine Dremel replacement drill chuck from Amazon - just screws straight onto the thread and is far superior - I think it cost me about £10 - but it was a few years back!

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

I replaced the collet on one of mine with a genuine Dremel replacement drill chuck from Amazon - just screws straight onto the thread and is far superior - I think it cost me about £10 - but it was a few years back!

Thanks for this info - as a consequence I invested £4.49 in two keyless 3-jaw chucks from Amazon.  Made by Mesee, these claim to fit a vast number of Dremel rotary implements and, slightly to my surprise, they fit the current Aldi 4v one.  Will they be any good at that silly price?  They (or at least the one I've fitted) seems OK and may well be adequate for the non-precision work I have in mind - precision work I leave to my Proxxon.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/11/2023 at 16:56, philg said:

I’m just about to embark on some serious track laying, and as the plan might not be 100% permanent, I’ll be screwing the track down

So, I’ll be drilling a LOT of pilot holes for the screws

Thinking I’d just get a basic rechargeable mini drill to avoid trailing cables

But I can’t seem to find such a thing! Do they exist? I’m really surprised if not

So, any suggestions welcomed

Thanks

Phil G

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party but if you're going to be drilling lots of holes for screws that implies you are going to be driving in a lot of screws, right?

So wouldn't a little drill/driver be more appropriate than a Dremel style tool?

They usually have torque adjustment so that you can drive screws just tight enough without grinding out the tops and they have a nice pistol grip that's much easier to hold and push than a Dremel.

Does it need to be a power drill just for drilling into, presumably, plastic sleepers? I used to use a 12v drill wired  Expo drill but found a simple “archimedes drill” (aka “pin vice”) much simpler and safer. You just hold the end vertically above the Job and press down the slide to rotate it.
I did have a Dremel but never used for anything useful it as it was hard to chose and fit accessories, there was no handbook or guidance for it.

I confess to being wary about power tools for anything except masonry drilling and mowing the lawn.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/11/2023 at 15:07, Torper said:

However, from my point of view it has a major fault (shared I think with the Dremel) in that it comes with a single 3.2mm collet which basically means that it can't be used with anything with a shaft narrower than 3.2mm.

Following this thread, I went and bought an ALDI cordless multi tool, £13.99, have found it very useful, as it says it is low torque, so relies on high revs, yes comes with a 3.2mm collet, bought a set of collets and mini chuck from TEMU, post free, photo below, which makes the tool more versatile, defiantly up the model jobs I want it to do, caution on collets, this tool takes 4.5mm shanks, my 12v EXPO drill takes 5mm shanks, which do not fit.  

TEMU COLLETTS.jpg

• Agree 1