Cordless mini drill

I’m just about to embark on some serious track laying, and as the plan might not be 100% permanent, I’ll be screwing the track down

So, I’ll be drilling a LOT of pilot holes for the screws

Thinking I’d just get a basic rechargeable mini drill to avoid trailing cables

But I can’t seem to find such a thing! Do they exist? I’m really surprised if not

So, any suggestions welcomed

Thanks

Phil G

• RMweb Gold

Today I purchased one looking like a Dremel; rechargeable  4v about £12 from Aldi.  Adjustable speed 5k to 24k rpm 

"4v Li-ion Rotary tool " 42 accessories included. USB to USB C charging lead.

I've not used it yet 

Probably not as good as a Dremel but a useful device I guess. 

Hope that helps:mellow:

This appears to be similar to "Dremel Lite 7760 N/10 4V Li-Ion Cordless Rotary Tool Variable Speed Multi-Purpose Rotary Tool Kit," - the price differential could well to be due to torque or life

Edited by BMS
Add Dremel info

• RMweb Gold

It's been my experience that once you get a cordless mini drill you will find 1001 uses for it, drilling, grinding, sharpening chainsaws, paint stirring, the list goes on and on. It's not an exaggeration to say that I use mine at least once every day....and not having to wrestle with a flex that doesn't want to go where you want it to is a definite plus.

With that in mind I think it would be an advantage to go for the best one that you can afford. I pushed the boat out and bought a Dremel which I've had now for four years and it's never let me down.

I can honestly say it it's one of the best tools I've ever purchased.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, BMS said:

Today I purchased one looking like a Dremel; rechargeable  4v about £12 from Aldi.  Adjustable speed 5k to 24k rpm 

"4v Li-ion Rotary tool " 42 accessories included. USB to USB C charging lead.

I've not used it yet 

Probably not as good as a Dremel but a useful device I guess. 

Hope that helps:mellow:

My Dremel 8000 has a 12v battery. I can't imagine a 4v battery supplying 3x the current, so the Dremel will almost certainly be more powerful.

Unlike cheaper (full size) drills I have owned in the past, the Dremel does not lose power as the battery discharges; it gives full performance then stops completely.

But for £12, the Aldi one is surely worth a go?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When drilling small pilot holes for delicate work such as track laying, I prefer to use a drill having fine speed control from 0 RPM > or even a pin vice, as the holes are of such small diameter and shallow depth.

I am not sure of what the latest Dremels offer, but mine is 12 years old and is operated by a slide switch on the side. It’s a great tool for many tasks, but I wouldn’t use it for fine drilling as it’s a two handed affair to initially start - meaning, hold Dremel in one hand, switch on to desired speed with t’other and than bring rapidly spinning tool (bit) to workpiece. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Dremel for me every time, I have both a battery one and mains one in a Dremel Drill (Christmas Present).

Wished I could have afforded one years go.

Terry 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Bought a rechargeable one off Amazon which looked a size and felt hefty enough to be man enough for the job; it was pathetic, less torque than a Trappist monastery.  Don't waste your money.  I have a wired one which is much better, also 'zon cheapo.  Will look out for the Parkside Aldi/Lidl offers!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of weeks ago I was in Lidl and spotted a Parksiide cordless "rotary tool". It's boxed with accessories, is 12v with a lithium Ion battery chraged by USB type C, runs at 5k-25k rpm.  As I happened to be in need of a codless drill, and it seemed good value at £19.99, I bought it but haven't yet had occasion to use it much.   It's a hefty piece of kit weighing 400g and probably not ideal for delicate work though the chuck will probably accommodate drill bits from about 0.5mm to 3.3mm.    There were still some in our local Lidl earlier this week.

Interesting discussion. To wade in, I’ve had a corded Dremel for years which has been fine but the cord is a nuisance so I cracked and bought a cheapo cordless Chinese knock-off version from Amazon for £20 just to see how I got on. Apart from not being constrained by the cord, the advantage I’ve found is that it runs at lower speeds than even the slowest setting on the Dremel, meaning I can sand without melting plastic or scorching wood and cut either smaller pieces without melting them or cut more slowly and in a controlled way. The Dremel can feel a bit like an over enthusiastic puppy, it must be said. The body of the cheapo unit also has a smaller diameter than the Dremel, meaning the cutting discs can be used at right angles to the job. 

So yes, the Dremel is beefier, but that isn’t always an advantage. Good to have both; horses for courses I guess.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

“The body of the cheapo unit also has a smaller diameter than the Dremel, meaning the cutting discs can be used at right angles to the job”

One of the main uses for the Dremel is cutting either code 75 or code 100 Peco track and I find getting a right angled cut difficult due the physical size of the Dremel.

I find attaching the Dremel flex-shaft is ideal for this as you are able to get a right angle cut every time.

(Thanks to fellow Stafford club member for the loan of the flex-shaft)

Added it to my Christmas list the following year and good old Santa obliged.

Terry 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Torper said:

A couple of weeks ago I was in Lidl and spotted a Parksiide cordless "rotary tool". It's boxed with accessories, is 12v with a lithium Ion battery chraged by USB type C, runs at 5k-25k rpm.......

I suppose this drill is as much suited to minor DIY use as it is to rather clumsier modelling use.  As someone said above, if I was spending decent money on a drill I'd ideally get one that gives the option of speeds much lower than 5000 rpm (rather rare, it seems) and is slim enough for delicate tasks and those that involve, for example, track cutting.

Edited by Torper

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Bucoops said:

.....Sounds similar to the item that Torper describes.

No, mine is much bulkier, a bit like the Dremel 8220, but a fifth of the price.  It seems that if you want 12v and an integral battery it's going to be bulky.  Curiously, Proxxon (I have one of their excellent corded drills) don't seem to do any cordless ones, and glancing a the quite large variety offered by Amazon it seems that if you want something cordless that's also small enough to get into awkward places you'll kave to get something at 3.7v or thereabouts with a minimum speed of 5000 rpm.  I used to have a Parkside corded drill that had a genuine variable speed from 0 - 25000rpm, but that sadly is now deceased.

Edited by Torper
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had the parkside battery mini drill for a couple of years. Very happy with it, it's done every thing I've asked of it.

I've cut rails, drilled for track pins, cut small bits of ply, and even used it to sharpen a chisel when the normal sharpener wasn't to hand.

After reading this post I went to Aldi and bought one , I have used it to grind down some cast details and being small and compact and best of all cordless it works just fine for me. No more attacking other parts of my model with a cord just to drill a couple of small holes

• Like 2