solder tag strips

Flyhighmike

Does anyone have bright ideas for the best way of setting up a 5v bus line that feeds a number of locations on the layout.  For example I have several clusters of sensors, signals and points which need a feed.  In days of old people would use solder tag strips but these seem to be rather scarce and I wondered if there is a low cost better alternative.

Many thanks

Flyhighmike

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

Tag strips are readily available on eBay and probably lots of other places. For an alternative though, take a look at WAGO connectors, which are basically solder-free mini bus bars.

spacer.png

But if you go down this route, rather than these 222 connectors I suggest you use 221.  221 are flat bottom so are easier to stick down.

Guess how I know!
Paul.

16 hours ago, Flyhighmike said:

Does anyone have bright ideas for the best way of setting up a 5v bus line that feeds a number of locations on the layout.  For example I have several clusters of sensors, signals and points which need a feed.  In days of old people would use solder tag strips but these seem to be rather scarce and I wondered if there is a low cost better alternative.

Many thanks

Flyhighmike

Mike,

If you are looking for 'low cost' then I can recommend 0.1" spaced PCB type connectors and stripboard (veroboard) to make your own. I have my entire layout wired using them.

Here's some photos to explain.

My 'typical' connectors, including the design I use for turnouts to provide both power and the switched frog power:

20210125_213726-Veroboard_resize.jpg.4970db830e10a52fe7eb806b9e4dbbfd.jpg

Here's some installed under a baseboard:

20201222_174719_resize.jpg.95cd9fbc8627d546dd918cc26ffc2c22.jpg

Yes, it's more labour intensive but I enjoy the wiring, especially when it works!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1