Whiterock

Darius43

• RMweb Gold

The Middlemark layout that I am building with a friend of mine in his large garden shed has hit an indefinite hiatus.

As a result I have decided to start building my own layout at home using the baseboards that came with the Middlemark helix. 

Whiterock_01.jpeg.18dce8d72b62ffbfb8d85ba917fd8b17.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg.0918b8cb101c978de4fd382794324cee.jpeg

Four boards clip together to form a layout 1.6m (5.3’) long by 1.27m (4.2’) wide.  Reasonable for a roundy roundy and small enough to fit on the dining room table.

I already have a layout plan:-

Whiterock_Track_Plan.jpeg.2b4671263fa00b87ae1a3a8e32148534.jpeg

I plan to use expanded polystyrene sheets to elevate the track level above the baseboard so as to enable the creation of embankments/cuttings, whilst keeping things light.

The trackbed will comprise 2mm thick plywood glued to the expanded polystyrene base with a layer of cork on top.  Removable lengths of ballasted track will cover the joints between the boards.

The layout will be built to be dismantled  into the four separate boards, which can be stacked vertically on a moveable rack (yet to be built) when not in use.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It will be OO gauge using Peco Code 75.   The lcoation is based on a small town on the Antrim coast that is associated with railway preservation.  Irish stock will be run along with anything else that takes my fancy :)

I am aware that the gauge in Ireland is 5'3" so OO is technically narrow gauge but I am happy with that compromise.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

It will be OO gauge using Peco Code 75.   The lcoation is based on a small town on the Antrim coast that is associated with railway preservation.  Irish stock will be run along with anything else that takes my fancy :)

I am aware that the gauge in Ireland is 5'3" so OO is technically narrow gauge but I am happy with that compromise.

Cheers

Darius

Ah, yes.  Been past the RPSI site at Whitehead a few times.  Until they rerouted the Stranraer ferry to Belfast.

Paul.