Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 221 Voyager flange squeal

Rosie Taylor

I caught the train from Dundee this morning, a Class 221 Voyager (5 carriages, Aberdeen - Plymouth), and the squealing as it came into the station was almost literally deafening. Dundee has tight curves at the east end of the platforms at the mouth of the dock street tunnel, necessitating a check rail, and flange squeal is fairly common. This was something else though, I've never heard it this loud (many passengers, including myself, covering their ears)! Does anyone know if this is a problem unique to the train type? Im wondering if the Class 221 has a longer wheelbase than usual, larger wheel diameter or something to do with the tilting mechanism?

Probably a combination of circumstances.

Most likely the lubrication has been removed by the recent VERY bad weather (you'd wouldn't think rain wouldn't wash off track grease but it does), the lubricator is empty and the local PW haven't re-filled it yet and the Class 221 is probably testing the lubrication a bit more than the other stock - from my days at Woking TME ISTR that they do tend run "heavy" compare to the Class 220's. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Interesting, I hadnt considered the weather contributing. I remember reading once that check rails were lubricated but had forgotten that was a thing. I noticed another train going through the station (Class 158 DMU) without as much noise, but that was at the other platform. I'll listen out when I'm back at the station later, to hear the difference between the Class 221 and others as well...