Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Industriebahn - Schrottbetrieb

Tim-Hale

Hi,

A bit of a dilemma where this should belong, it is certainly a layout albeit a micro but would be overwhelmed by the plethora of worthy British outline therefore overseas modelling seems most appropriate.

Thanks to the complications of ageing, the main layout Pottendorf although modular is destined to remain unseen by the public except on the internet however a micro seems doable, especially when based on SMS boards and carried around in two christmas tree boxes. It is intended to be shown whilst seated comfortably, no more standing, at smaller events that seem popular with the more interesting modelling demographic. It fits in the trunk without issue and requires the use of the venue's table and chair, no need for care hire and a single elderly operator.

The concept is ridiculously simple, a siding into a scrapyard, the subject has been cribbed from Frank Forsten's magnificent Stahlbahn except Frank's example lacks rail-access. It also marks a sea-change in subject matter, no rural idyll nor steam driven, instead a location on the edge of a harbour at Bamberg and definitely 1980s.

The yard is an example of both minimalism and small details, rather than an open canvas. The viewer is invited to study the scene, to find the hidden 'gems' amongst the chaos of a pre-revisionist yard which has no environmental nor safety policy, instead just piles of scrap.

A small personal touch is the name of the business, it is my maternal grandfather's Walter Bensohn of whom I know nothing except his name, here it is Industriebahn - Schrottbetrieb. A rather odd title that translates at "Scrap business" taken from a painted sign in the the nearby Bayreuth, the image graces the title page of the blog.

Anyway, as a starter, some photos of the boards. That's more than enough for an opening, more to come if you are interested.

Tim

Main.jpg.5a33e904f53f71098b0e1edb89ba354f.jpgMain_Elect.jpg.8730903c19a3c64c040302b18f463856.jpgRHS.jpg.e6af127bec3c5e2d65617e39d76bc16c.jpgLHS.jpg.615999a71ebf96b4cae553502bcc5fa3.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Tim-Hale -

“Anyway, as a starter, some photos of the boards. That's more than enough for an opening, more to come if you are interested.”

Yes please, keep posting as this looks a very interesting project. In photo two, is the big black box a Z21 controller, and is signal reception OK being underneath the baseboard?

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking good.

regarding weathering the ballast I have recently used Ammo Mechanical Wash which is an enamel. I just dipped my brush in the jar and dragged it along the ballast.  A nice grubby look soon appeared and can be “repainted” later to add more depth to the colour if required.

arguably any black acrylic paint/wash would work just as well.

regards

Peter

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...