Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Latest mini Camera to use for a Drivers Eye video of Layout

About 5 years ago I bought a SQ12 mini  camera which I fixed onto a flat wagon. Then when coupled to the front of a locomotive, I was able to film a 'Drivers eye' video of my OO gauge layout.  This was great at the time but the film quality was never great.   Now 5 years down the line and with the improvements in technology and the ever increasing use of cameras on things like drones and clothing there must be better cameras out there with 1080p or even 4k quality that are small enough to mount on a OO gauge wagon.  This would then enable me to video my layout again, replacing the old footage with far superior quality images.  Can anyone give me some camera ideas.  Don't really want to pay any more than £100, but suggestions at any price range both cheaper and more expensive would be useful as I'm sure other readers of this forum will also be interested in the idea.  Any help appreaciated. Kevin

On 17/11/2023 at 14:55, GBTDAMAN said:

Can anyone give me some camera ideas.  Don't really want to pay any more than £100, but suggestions at any price range both cheaper and more expensive would be useful as I'm sure other readers of this forum will also be interested in the idea.

The one I have is a Q15 (there are still some on TheBay) and cost ~£30. They're not 4K (despite what the blurb says), but produce acceptable 720p videos.

It's at the 'cheap' end of your price range ...

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm interested in doing something similar but I'd like to be able to do it via wifi in real time back to a monitor to be able to drive the train from the cab view.

The camera etc. needs to be small enough to hide inside a 4mm diesel or electric loco.

Has anyone done this with current technology instead of the stuff I was playing with 20 years ago that was very susceptible to interference?

Andi

Edited by Dagworth