North Elmham(ish), Norfolk in N - an idea.

Wherry Lines

Afternoon all,

A few failed attempts at layout building over the past 15 years and a break have led me back here again - planning an achievable but interesting layout! Previous attempts have probably been too complex for a first time layout, so something simpler is called for.

Living on the Norfolk/Suffolk border means that I'm interested primarily in the G.E territory, particularly the late 80's and 90's when I was growing up. Trips to Norwich on a 101 or 150 being amongst my earliest memories.

So, naturally my layout is based in this locale and time frame. I've come across some photos of North Elmham, north of Dereham on the Mid-Norfolk. There was a grain facility at this point, located on the opposite side of the station itself. A fairly simple track plan, short trains and easily modellable. The prototype closed in 1989.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_clarke_railway_photos/6280419985/

https://mikeclarkerailwayphotos.weebly.com/uploads/8/1/4/2/8142320/6010729_orig.jpg

A couple of polybulks, a guards van and a class 31 are all that are needed, so I would use some artistic license to increase the traffic and traction for interest. A couple of VGA's, open wagons, maybe a small engineering train with typical East Anglian traction.

I've kept closely to the track plan, but added a small kickback siding off the grain siding for extra opeeational interest. Unusually, I've lengthened the track plan a little compared to the prototype! Dimensions for the model are 4' x 1' for the modellered area, plus 2' for a fiddle yard.

Here's the intended plan using actual track, a class 37 and 3 monsterboxes (my polybulks are up in the loft! The level crossing would be on the left as viewed, with gates closed to divert the eye from the solid backscene. Fiddle yard is to the right, disguised by a bridge carrying Hoe Lane (conveniently moved much closer to the location modelled!

20231119_090017.jpg.b94fd28e863483da893bb2c8c71ff6b4.jpg

What do we think?

Edited by Wherry Lines
  • Like 5

• Wherry Lines changed the title to North Elmham(ish), Norfolk in N - an idea.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, it would obviously work and doesn't suffer from "too cluttered" syndrome.  I think I'd want a passenger service too, and would try to keep the option of running it as a through station if there was any way you could run a DMU over the level crossing into a hideaway of some sort.  I think in real life the kickback siding would have come off the loop rather than the grain siding, i.e. with the two points swopped round, as this would make it so much easier to shunt.

Best of luck!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for your thorughts @Chimer.

Funnily enough, I'd had the same thoughts as you on the extension! The station  itself was located on the other side of the crossing to the location I am modelling (to the left of the modelled area on my proposal). The line then continued onto Great Ryburgh and Fakenham. A small 'fiddle-stick' long enough for a cl.101 would suffice.

I have also come across a couple of photos showing a buffer stop on a short length of disconnected line - perhaps a headshunt. I could reconnect this in place of the kickback. It would be long enough for a couple of OBA wagons.

I've doodled over a screenshot from Google Earth to show the location today - it's part of the Mid-Norfolk railway, although not used for passenger services yet. 

Screenshot_20231202-120702_GoogleEarth.jpg.ee9bddf2ad57f3767d79b2312425fc9a.jpg 

Edited by Wherry Lines

• RMweb Premium

You could put a passenger platform on the stump of the running line bottom left of your plan.  Not the original, but a post-truncation replacement avoiding the need to keep the level crossing operational (or return it to use if the passenger services had restarted).  It would be a simple wood or concrete affair with shelter (style depending on when it was built) and the fact that it could only take a 2 car DMU would be quite ok. 

You need some interlocking as soon as passenger trains are introduced of course.

An interesting location to choose for a model, as I suppose your choice of period is historic, current or future - with services to be provided in due course by the MNR either as a terminus when their northern extension is ready for public service or as a through station if and when they manage to extend through to County School, then perhaps also by the proposed Norfolk Orbital Railway.

SIgnalling Diagram for the ground frame and the gradient diagram for the line here ....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/52282305587

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/23459950602

You might prefer historic ... but you'll have to build a working shunting horse ! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Elmham_railway_station

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Wherry Lines said:

The station  itself was located on the other side of the crossing to the location I am modelling (to the left of the modelled area on my proposal).

Ah - that explains why when I found photos of the station, I couldn't tie them in your plan .....