HartleyHill . The LNWR in1895-1900

• Coal Tank changed the title to HartleyHill . The LNWR in1895-1900

The Lady pulling a six wheeled coach. It actually has pulled six 50ft arc roof coaches.  Without slipping.

For anyone who may be interested I spray the chairs in red oxide and the rails are given a coat of metal black before the chairs are put on . I just think it looks better. Im sure it was Martyn Welch who gave me the idea.

Screenshot_2023-12-03-21-17-32-63_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Edited by Coal Tank
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi , I have just received the etches for the 2pm corridor,there is another brake coach to order. I only have room for 7 coaches so it's a representation of the train. Looking forward to this 

IMG20240101115828.jpg

IMG20240101115704.jpg

• Like 11

Hi John,

I am looking forward to seeing these built and painted.What are the Diagram numbers? I am particularly intrigued by the etches for the two narrow vestibule carriages, I can't work out what these are from the Worsley Works website.

Jol

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi Jol ,there are two Diagram 71 ,a Diagram 54, Diagram 55and two dinning coaches .He only has one type of dinning coach. There should have been a Diagram 69 brake so I have asked him if he can do one of those. I will have to phone John for some coach chassis.

John 

Edited by Coal Tank
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely etches, your fingers must be itching to build them.

On 01/01/2024 at 12:19, Coal Tank said:

the 2pm corridor

Can I ask what your approach is in terms of selecting the trains to be featured. E.g. are you going for the full timetable, or part of it, or a selection according to what you fancy? I'm trying to find my own feet in such matters.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I have thought about this. I worked out that it was just about possible to replicate a day's working on a mainline. This was a section of GWR mainline and I chose weekday 'winter' table table. All services tended to have a balancing service, though on long distance this means that the railway needed at least two sets of coaches; the Down service on Day One is the Up Service on Day Two, so the balancing Up service on Day One needs a second set of coaches and forms the Down service on Day Two etc.

The modeller only has to run his services into the fiddle yard, so he can use the same set of coaches for the same day's balancing service. He only needs half the coaches the prototype railway needs as he can simply reverse the same train used on the Down service as the Up service by taking the loco off one end and replacing it with a different engine on the other end!

The alternative, which is usually more sane, is to choose representative services, say one each of stopper, semi-fast, fast. There can be a trip goods that serves your station and long-distance goods that don't stop. Each train gets to form an up and a down service, so, even if you only have one of each type of train listed above, that's 10 services to run, and shorter distance locals can go up and down more than once in a day, so if you have included that in your list of 5 trains, that's 12 services.  If you want to increase the number of services, add another train at the more mundane end of things!

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 05/01/2024 at 09:13, Mikkel said:

Lovely etches, your fingers must be itching to build them.

Can I ask what your approach is in terms of selecting the trains to be featured. E.g. are you going for the full timetable, or part of it, or a selection according to what you fancy? I'm trying to find my own feet in such matters.

Hi Mikkel, to be honest I have only just started thinking about this. The dining coaches and the other etches are part of the 2pm corridor. Most of the trains that I am slowly putting together are from photos.

Screenshot_2024-01-02-09-08-18-48_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Ok , so I have been starting the platforms. I was wondering how to get them to follow the track so here are a few pics. Let me just say that this is how I did it not necessarily how anyone else should.

IMG20240123132355.jpg

• Like 8

Then I cut out the cardboard to fit inside the rails. Then I used a compass to follow the profile of the curve and cut that out. It should fit the curve which it does. I'm sure that there are better ways but hay ho. The main thing is that it fits .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I assume that you have checked the clearance of your longest coach?  (Sorry, I have to ask because sometimes when you ask a stupid question............., and I feel happier asking now when any mistake can be rectified.)

• Like 1

The inside centre of the longest coach and the overhang at front or rear of the vehicle with the largest throw (also watch the cylinders those Allen framed locos).  Probably grandmother and eggs but like @ChrisN I need to say it.

Alan 

• Like 3

John, 

don't forget that the Dining Saloons were 65' 6" and the Modellers World kits for these do pop up s/h from time to time. I would recommend leaving a bit more clearance if you think you are likely to seek out and build one.

Jol

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1