Yard Entrance / Goddard Street

TomCrewe

Next project is this, at the left side of layout I have a entrance to the hardstanding of the good's yard. It's something I just made up and its a bit on the flat side (it is flat it's low relief but it looks too flat!!)

I have said elsewhere I try to model thing around the Crewe area and I have come across a head on picture of the Crewe Works Entrance which was on Goddard Street. Only needs a slight fiddle with scale to fit the gap

I am not sure what to do with the lettering 1. leave as is authentic 2. Change slightly from Crewe works to Coppenhall Goods 3. Just make more relevant to layout.

2023-11-23 11.59.45.jpg

Gate 2.jpg

2023-11-23 12.00.42.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't the lettering only be on the outside? Where are the doors supposed to go to, and what's behind the window? It's a nice idea, but I think you need to create some depth to the entrance building, with a "wall" on the right hand side of the opening and shadows underneath. The shadows might in turn disguise the bottom of the wall (the angle will only work for one viewing position) and the break to the street scene beyond.

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Wouldn't the lettering only be on the outside? Where are the doors supposed to go to, and what's behind the window? It's a nice idea, but I think you need to create some depth to the entrance building, with a "wall" on the right hand side of the opening and shadows underneath. The shadows might in turn disguise the bottom of the wall (the angle will only work for one viewing position) and the break to the street scene beyond.

It's a 'Model railway' not real. It's paper and card. It's a nod to the real Goddard Street entrance to Crewe works, (It does not exist now). I was trying to capture the essence of the gateway. I can't add any depth it's a low relief building and at the back is a wardrobe!!

2023-11-28 11.55.27.jpg

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TomCrewe said:

I can't add any depth it's a low relief building and at the back is a wardrobe!!

You only need to give the appearance of depth. A separate card in deep shadow representing the right hand wall of the entrance way, extending perhaps up to the right hand glazing bar of the window, might suit for most viewing angles:

image.png.a44ece9d8ed7ad8107127bb4f65995d0.png

It is the angle of the bottom edge that is tricky. I think I've probably got it too steeply inclined here - I had been aiming to match the angle of the kerb on the opposite side of the road - but in any case the edge should be disguised as best as possible. The roadway in the background picture should be darkened to represent the shadow of the entrance, and it can be blended in at front and back, and the bottom of the "wall" will perhaps be half hidden in shadow.

Here is how it would look from a different angle. Not as convincing, perhaps, but not wildly out. Perhaps the "wall" should be extended further to the left:

image.png.2bbff250c5bab90d7af8ea87d6feb660.png

Because the perspective varies according to the viewing angle, the "wall" can't feature horizontal courses of bricks or have any other "horizontal" lines, and is best just being dark and indistinct.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...