RMweb

Zimo decoders on JMRI Decoder Pro

Adrian Olsen

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but has anyone been successful in Reading/Writing to a Zimo decoder (in this case a MX617N 6 pin) using JMRI Decoder Pro? 

I cannot seem to get mine to recognise the decoder and keep getting an Error Code 308 (‘no decoder ACK Pulse’).
I’m using a Digitrax DSC210+ and DT602 handset.

I’ve tried all the obvious things recommended in the JMRI help section to no avail.
Is it a problem with Zimo decoders?  This one works perfectly in the loco, but simply won’t read/write it CVs.

Thoughts welcome

Thanks for these replies.

It would appear that I can Write to this decoder with the DT602, but it doesn’t Read CVs on the Programming Track nor on the Main.  Is this a known issue with this Digitrax system?
My Command Station (DSC210+) is connected to JMRI (on my PC) using the usual USB cable connected to COM3, and the DT602 is connected with a LocoNet cable to the Command Station.

All very frustrating 

As you are only able to write CVs and cannot read them this suggests to me that you are always using the main and you are nit switching into programming track mode. 

You can only read CVs on main if using Railcom and Digitrax doesn’t utilise Railcom and can only read CVs using the programming track.

May I suggest that you check your setup carefully. Until you get the Digitrax working correctly you cannot consider any issues with JMRI. 

9 hours ago, Adrian Olsen said:

Thanks for these replies.

It would appear that I can Write to this decoder with the DT602, but it doesn’t Read CVs on the Programming Track nor on the Main.  Is this a known issue with this Digitrax system?
My Command Station (DSC210+) is connected to JMRI (on my PC) using the usual USB cable connected to COM3, and the DT602 is connected with a LocoNet cable to the Command Station.

All very frustrating 

The only "on the main" reading a Digitrax system can do is to "Transponding" equipped decoders (almost no decoder makers other than Digitrax have transponding).  To make it work requires a significant amount of additional Digitrax hardware.   Its a tiny niche, and not worth pursuing.  

Using the DT602,  can you read other decoders on the programming track ?     

If the answer is "no", then you've either got a setup issue in the Digitrax system, or a fault with the programming track output on the DCS210.   ( Do NOT connect the programming track outputs to the mainline track outputs, that's a way to blow the transistors on the programming track.   The often suggested "create a siding with turnout to mainline" for programming is dangerous - something sitting over the isolation join links programming to main....  So, don't do have a programming siding and don't take the risk...  Instead, fully isolated programming track, which does require lifting things on/off that track.)  

If the answer is "yes",  then : 
a)   Can you read those same decoders with JMRI ?   if "yes", then your JMRI setup appears to be all correct.  

b)   Start to work out why the MX617 cannot be read....

With the DT602/DCS210 known to be able to read other decoders, then why might a MX617 not read ?  

Possibly a faulty decoder - rare, but not impossible.   

Poor electrical contact onto programming track: wire connections, dirty rails. 

Pickup problems in loco, not enough to stop running, but enough to upset programming. 
Not enough current coming back from loco for the "ack" pulse.  Try the decoder in something else.  

Wrong programming track "mode".   Zimo decoders will usually read with any mode, but probably best with "direct".  

This is a "divide the problem up" approach - is it the entire programming setup ?  is it one loco/decoder ?   Is it JMRI ?  

Prove the DT602/DCS210 works, then prove JMRI works,  then prove it works with the specific decoder.   
JMRI is effectively a smart and fast throttle, it does the same as manually programming with the DT602, just very quickly and keeping a record of what has been done.  

- Nigel

Nigel, thanks ever so much for this comprehensive response.

I will follow up your suggested approach.

Certainly, I’ve been able to READ other decoders on the Programming Track (and on JMRI) using this Digitrax combination - notably those made by DCC Concepts, so maybe its not the set up.
This one is the only Zimo decoder I have; bought for a specific loco that needed a small 6 pin decoder.

Anyway, I’ll try your very logical process and try to isolate the reason I’m struggling with this particular decoder.

As I say, its all very frustrating.

I’ll keep this thread posted on my progress (or lack thereof).

All the best

Adrian

2 hours ago, Adrian Olsen said:

Nigel, thanks ever so much for this comprehensive response.

I will follow up your suggested approach.

Certainly, I’ve been able to READ other decoders on the Programming Track (and on JMRI) using this Digitrax combination - notably those made by DCC Concepts, so maybe its not the set up.
This one is the only Zimo decoder I have; bought for a specific loco that needed a small 6 pin decoder.

Anyway, I’ll try your very logical process and try to isolate the reason I’m struggling with this particular decoder.

As I say, its all very frustrating.

I’ll keep this thread posted on my progress (or lack thereof).

All the best

Adrian

If your setup is working for other decoders, then the issue is the new loco/decoder.   

I assume it runs, since you say you can write to it - that would confirm you've put the decoder in the right-way round ?

One possibility is that the model has a very low current motor inside it, and the programming track is a little "deaf", so can't detect the responses.   (I'd have hoped that a new Digitrax system was OK on that, but some systems can have problems with some decoders and not detecting the response pulse).    There may be clues in the Digitrax online help/knowledgebase to improve programming track response.  

- Nigel

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

If your setup is working for other decoders, then the issue is the new loco/decoder.   

I assume it runs, since you say you can write to it - that would confirm you've put the decoder in the right-way round ?

One possibility is that the model has a very low current motor inside it, and the programming track is a little "deaf", so can't detect the responses.   (I'd have hoped that a new Digitrax system was OK on that, but some systems can have problems with some decoders and not detecting the response pulse).    There may be clues in the Digitrax online help/knowledgebase to improve programming track response.  

- Nigel

Would it be safe to put a small capacity resistor across the programming track rails as well as having the loco on there?