Zimo MS - no ‘ack’ pulse

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Are the new Zimo MS decoders different with regard to programming response? I’ve now had two of the MS450’s and on the program track (via Sprog/decoder pro) neither give any indication they are being written to. In the drop down tabs there are options for the level of ack response now which I take it must be part of the new firmware design, but nothing I change makes any difference. They program just fine but being totally silent seems a bit unnerving. It’s nice to know  it’s all working.

Bob

• Agree 1

If they program fine then there should be nothing to worry about. Does "programming" include both reading and writing?

Traditionally the ACK pulse was generated by pulsing the motor, often resulting in audible feedback and the loco creeping along the programming track. The effect depends upon the motor, as well as the decoder. It's also possible to simply switch a resistor or other load across the tracks to generate the ACK. This would not result in any noise or movement.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Crosland said:

If they program fine then there should be nothing to worry about. Does "programming" include both reading and writing?

Traditionally the ACK pulse was generated by pulsing the motor, often resulting in audible feedback and the loco creeping along the programming track. The effect depends upon the motor, as well as the decoder. It's also possible to simply switch a resistor or other load across the tracks to generate the ACK. This would not result in any noise or movement.

Yes, both read & write. Can’t say I’ve ever really noticed it while writing, perhaps because it’s only a few cv’s at a time while reading is the whole page -  with Decoder Pro. Of course with the latter you can see the graphical interface and the values change as well as the dialog ‘reading cv123 etc. but the audible/visible response was handy to have even if with the odd loco it could be a bit extreme, moving the whole length of the - short - program track. 

Bob

Can't say what Zimo are doing,  but I know another decoder maker is moving to "silent Ack" response, with the circuitry for the Ack part of the decoder, rather than using the motor coils to generate the pulse.     That maker is considering also flashing the lighting outputs to indicate something is happening, but a decision on that not yet made.  

( I have some prototype decoders to look at from the maker  )

- Nigel

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1