GSWR Peckett

Caledonian

In 1919 the Glasgow and Southwestern Railway acquired Ayr Harbour and so fell heir to a Peckett. This was apparently in poor condition but was refurbished, properly painted olive green, given the number 735 and used as the works shunter at Kilmarnock. In LMS days it moved to Perth and was used on the branch line to Gleneagles.

I have a couple of photies in LMS black with the number 11043, but nothing for GSWR days

A photie of its Barclay predecessor [734] suggests that the number 735 will have appeared on the cab side-sheets with GSWR over Locomotive Works on the saddle tank.

Can anyone confirm and better still provide a photie - even of a model ?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

In 1919 the Glasgow and Southwestern Railway acquired Ayr Harbour and so fell heir to a Peckett. This was apparently in poor condition but was refurbished, properly painted olive green, given the number 735 and used as the works shunter at Kilmarnock. In LMS days it moved to Perth and was used on the branch line to Gleneagles.

I have a couple of photies in LMS black with the number 11043, but nothing for GSWR days

A photie of its Barclay predecessor [734] suggests that the number 735 will have appeared on the cab side-sheets with GSWR over Locomotive Works on the saddle tank.

Can anyone confirm and better still provide a photie - even of a model ?

See a picture in GSWR colours here (embedded link):

735 - Ayr Harbour Commissioners 0-4-0ST - built 1904 by Peckett & Co., Works No.977 - 1919 Ayr Harbour Commissioners taken over by GSWR, to No.735 - 1923 to LMS No.16043 - 1930 withdrawn from Perth MPD.

Lined green it would seem, including brass dome and copper cap chimney.

There was a thread about this very engine a decade ago, see here:

It would seem ian@stenochs did make a model as per the thread, but the pictures have been lost after various server dramas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

482B391A-B835-4EB6-99D9-7AD555B45533.jpeg.55b31feebb0d0e70c110595150b33be9.jpeg

Yes I did build a model of the Ayr harbour pug using the Agenoria kit as a basis.  Since finishing the model I have learned that the footplate edge and step backplate should be in crimson lake.  I have not yet built up the enthusiasm to change the model!

I have researched and modelled the G&SWR for 50+ years and in all that time I have NEVER come across an official company document which omits the ampersand in the shortened version of the company title.  Why do enthusiasts think it’s ok to do so?  Please guys give the Sou West a bit of respect and use the ampersand.

Ian.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, ian@stenochs said:

Yes I did build a model of the Ayr harbour pug using the Agenoria kit as a basis.  Since finishing the model I have learned that the footplate edge and step backplate should be in crimson lake.  I have not yet built up the enthusiasm to change the model!

I have researched and modelled the G&SWR for 50+ years and in all that time I have NEVER come across an official company document which omits the ampersand in the shortened version of the company title.  Why do enthusiasts think it’s ok to do so?  Please guys give the Sou West a bit of respect and use the ampersand.

Ian.

And put the 2 in the cabside number the right way up? Or is it a G&SWR form for 7. (Whoops - upthread it appears to be a 7)

Edited by MR Chuffer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ian@stenochs said:

... I have researched and modelled the G&SWR for 50+ years and in all that time I have NEVER come across an official company document which omits the ampersand in the shortened version of the company title.  Why do enthusiasts think it’s ok to do so?  Please guys give the Sou West a bit of respect and use the ampersand. 

... and avoid the obvious confusion with the 'other' GSWR - or GS&WR as it probably should be known.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

... and avoid the obvious confusion with the 'other' GSWR - or GS&WR as it probably should be known.

Quite so - it's all in the ampersand, a point to which Google is unfortunately impervious.

Equally, one should remember to write GNR(E) when referring to the line out of Kings Cross, which unlike either the GNR(I) or indeed the GS&WR notably failed to link the principal cities of its kingdom. (With apologies to natives and denizens of Leeds and Bradford, better served by the Midland anyway.)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ian@stenochs said:

Ian.

Ah, magnificent. Thanks for re-posting. I really must set to on my Hornby version

• Like 3

On 11/12/2023 at 13:24, ian@stenochs said:

Since finishing the model I have learned that the footplate edge and step backplate should be in crimson lake.  I have not yet built up the enthusiasm to change the model!

That is incredibly neat work - although the areas requiring attention are 'contained', I can fully understand your reluctance to correct them!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Halvarras said:

That is incredibly neat work - although the areas requiring attention are 'contained', I can fully understand your reluctance to correct them!

Thanks for the complement, I try my best.

I am almost finished building an Austrian Goods which will be the same colours so I might just make the effort to correct 735 when I have the paint brushes out.

• Like 3