RMweb

Joint GWR and SR branch lines

Typeapproval

10 minutes ago, Typeapproval said:

I'm aware of LSWR/GWR at Weymouth, was it a "Joint" line or one with running powers? 

I remember seeing Southern Region trains going through the streets to the dock. 

The boat trains ran to Paddington until 1959 then the SR moved their Channel Island traffic from Southampton , rebuilt Weymouth Quay station with extra sidings at Weymouth Junction . The SR had running powers from Dorchester Junction but the Portland branch was joint

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoke West said:

The boat trains ran to Paddington until 1959 then the SR moved their Channel Island traffic from Southampton , rebuilt Weymouth Quay station with extra sidings at Weymouth Junction . The SR had running powers from Dorchester Junction but the Portland branch was joint

Meant to say Dorchester to Weymouth was a Great Wastern line pure , the Wilts Somerset and Weymouth  one of IKB enterprises

Weymouth shed was transferred to the SR 2/1958, as was Yeovil GW shed [Pen Mill], at which time, I think, the whole line was also transferred from south of Castle Cary; Sparkford acquired at least one u/q signal around then I think. Yeovil SR shed [Town] was transferred to the WR 9/1963 as a result of another boundary move. 

Thank you for the information. I have been looking through some old holiday photos from the 1950s and 60s and came across a picture of a railwayman walking through Weymouth ahead of a train. unfortunately the image is rather out of focus and I can't make out anything of the loco.

2 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Weymouth shed was transferred to the SR 2/1958, as was Yeovil GW shed [Pen Mill], at which time, I think, the whole line was also transferred from south of Castle Cary; Sparkford acquired at least one u/q signal around then I think. Yeovil SR shed [Town] was transferred to the WR 9/1963 as a result of another boundary move. 

South of Castle Cary and Langport West and Creech Junction passed to the Southern Region in 1952 hence SR rail post  signals at virtually every location including a nice bracket at Maiden Newton . Under the penetrating lines  working of trains and motive power was still Western Region until 1958 when the Southern Region took over completely . In the same way Bath Junction to Cole on the S&D was western Region but southern region was responsible for train working and motive power .

37 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Probably not one of these - unless the late-ish 60s.

5.13dusted.jpg.d805e34066558751c96705e9be5e00b3.jpgafter the GW paniers left ivatt mickey mouse  2-6-2 T until july 67 (steam preffered as  trains on tramway had to be double manned )   along with class 03/04 diesels , latterley leaving just 03 until the end of 1973 when 33 worked thro to the Quay 

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Typeapproval said:

I'm aware of LSWR/GWR at Weymouth, was it a "Joint" line or one with running powers? 

I remember seeing Southern Region trains going through the streets to the dock. 

Many lines people think of as "joint" are actually not joint at all, but one company simply had running powers. The route to Weymouth being one in point. 

There were actually very few lines that were joint between the GWR and the LSWR (later SR). 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Many lines people think of as "joint" are actually not joint at all, but one company simply had running powers

And, many lines where people think running powers existed weren’t actually subject to such powers, but were the subjects of consensual agreements between companies, the owning company consenting to the operation of services by another. And on some where running powers did exist, they weren’t exercised, so tend to be forgotten.

The only way to be sure is to delve into a load of history around a particular route.