RMweb

CAOLISPORT (1980's railway operations)

Clagmeister

Claggy, nuke trains brought some interesting locos (and barrier wagons) over the years. If Caolisport had a nuke sub base, you could get away with at least one saloon carrying armed guards (the most appropiate been available from DCkits/ Brittania pacific). It is a mixed medium (plastic, brass and resin) though doesnt appear to be too difficult. For locos, you could expect 20s, 37s and 47s (double heading). I assume your are looking at a couple of rakes of OTAs as well?

The only similarity between that layout and mine was the sound of the seagulls. Awesome model.

OTAs should figure, and are diagrammed into my speedlink services. I will have loading points at Inverary, Lochgilphead and Tarbert.

47s and upwards too heavy for this railway as it joins at Ardlui on the WHL.

May ahve to add a few more 37/4s. It would be good choosing your own names. Hmmmmmm!

37440 Ben Lui

37441 Ladhar Bheinn

37442 Mull of Kintyre

37443 Isle of Islay

37444 Buchaille Eive Mor

37445 Bidean Nam Bianbiggrin.gif

Could indulge my other passion, climbing big bits of rock.

Oh well wheres my horlicks.

cheerio

Claggy

How very interesting.

Thats not a links pan just a simple ramp cut out of the harbour wall?????

Not really happy with my linkspan, so may revert to that style. That is Heb in the picture, sure it is.

Anyway 43106 running as 43154(fav loco of one of the support crew apparantly) arrived today with ECS plus support coach Friday 31st January 1986 to begin 4 weeks of crew training. The loco is seen on Caolisport stabling point with 37406 for company.

post-7043-126816229008_thumb.jpg

post-7043-126816231191_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Teallachs Paper Bboard had a delivery of slurry this week. For the first time silver bullet wagons were used with two being dumped on the dock for unloading. Should take about a week for D Murray to empty them with his Bedford TK.

Will post pics shortly.

Claggy

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Its been a bit quiet recently but have now been making a reall attempt at the Port/Ferry terminal. This is because 'Hebridean Isles' is due to berth there for the first time in a month or so. If you havn't seen the ferry before. Its being being built to an astonishing level by RM member Carl1967. Check out his ferry thread in 'scratchbuilding'.

Will post some pics of the terminal shortly, but the fuel storage tanks have gone in, as has the terminal building. Currently varnishing 2sqmtrs of sea space to fit the monster onto.

On the rail side I have had all of my Bachmann sound 37's re blown with far superior sounds from local expert. The sounds are recordings we made whilst I was thrashing 37's with DRS. So now I blink.gif get to drive myself around a 1980's Scottish layout, blissbiggrin.gif Even used 37423 with ETH on so it sounds just right.

cheerio

Claggy

Hi again Mike

Thanks for the PM

I was a bit disappointed with the results of the sound fitted Bachmann 37. I was personally involved in acquiring the sample used and we put a great deal of effort in to getting it right. (and we had great fun thrashing 37190 doing so) I have read it somewhere, probably on this forum, that the problem is the size and position of the speaker. I will have one myself shortly to play with so I will see how I get on.

I have just fitted two units to my class 26 and 27. I have managed to get a 40mm by 20mm speaker in the fuel tank, and the effects are so good that my other half complains about the noise a floor above.

Now who’s going to get a sound decoder in a seagull!

Hope the berthing trial of the Heb goes well

Gary

Some photos as promised of the Harbour developments. There is still lots to do. About another 4 coast of varnish for the sea. I will also be using real railway ballast to construct my break water to the right of the harbour picture.

post-7043-127507661754_thumb.jpg

The other one shows Concrete Bob recently arrived at Caolisport with the 0830 from Glasgow Queen St. In the old yard there are slurry tanks and TTAs with ship fuel.

post-7043-127507660634_thumb.jpg

post-7043-127507662677_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 1

Hi Claggy,

That last photo gives a really good impression of the size of your layout. The open space helps set the scene in the yard sidings and the platform is acutally quite large when you look closely with the train alongside it but looks small in the context overall. It will be great to see the Ferry in place as well. Your layout is always interesting to see and I will look forward to seeing more of it. Your sound project sounds interesting (no pun intended) I have recently got a model of 37423 in DRS condition and would like to hear your recording as it might be good to have the sound of the real loco in the model! Do you have any videos of it?

Thanks,

Mark

Reply tp the previous 2 posts.

Thanks very much. Yes the layout is big! I think I bit off more than I could chew, that picture only a quarter of it. I'm chuffed though that I've got the space but kept the railway to a minimum. I think..... thats how I got the Scottish atmosphere. problem is my modelling is a bit slap dash, because I have so much to do.

I have back ground seaside recordings that really add to the atmosphere, but they don't make it into the photos.

Sorry don't have any 37423 video. We made the recordings whilst I was working the Workington-Maryport shuttle recently. A 37 sounds very different with the ETH turned on. It revs much higher. I would have to speak to the man with the technology and pass your/his details on. We have done around 10 different 37 sound files, including some real mega thrash files.

The steam appears because I don't remember real steam and my memories are of preserved steam only. I spent many a happy hour sitting on the hill above Fort William depot in the 1980's looking at 37/4s and Black Fives so thats where Caolisport is based upon really.

The ferry is going to make the railway, it is simply stunning.

cheerio

Claggy

A few pics from recently.

37406 The Saltire Society is busy collecting slurry tanks off the old yard as 37409 Loch Awe arrives in P1 with a train from Cambletown.

post-7043-127531065206_thumb.jpg

A closer shot of 37409 soon after arrival before running round.

post-7043-127531070395_thumb.jpg

Signalman Billy Mcdonald waits to hand up the Cambletown token to the driver of 37409.

post-7043-127531086624_thumb.jpg

Later in the day, 37/4 livery contrast 37406 with black head code box and oraange cant stripe and 37409 with yellow head code box and no stripe at Caolisport stabling point Feb 1986.

post-7043-127531096579_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 1

What a great looking Scottish layout, Like many others I love the LARGE LOGO 37's and the Scottish scene. I spent a week in Fort William in May 1970 for the Scottish 6 days Trials BUT I WASN'T INTO TRAINS SO I DIDN'T VISIT THE STATION , looking back now that was criminal. What size is the layout and do you have a track plan, All the best Andy. 

Hi,

The layout is Big. Station and Harbour section 20ftX4ft, Yard, stabling point and Junction section 15ftX4ft and scenic/fiddle section 18ftX4ft.

Will have to post pics from above to do the track plan when I get a chance.

Anyway have tried You tube to see if an improved sound class 37 clip comes out. Not sure its worked but here it is anyway

cheerio

Claggy

Great work Glagmeister rolleyes.gif

Absolutely fabulous layout. I'm a great fan of the large logo 37s and I'm modelling the Highland Lines in 1987 ('cos I want to include the short lived INTERFRIGO fish traffic from Mallaig).But nothing like on the scale of Caolisport..

But as I'm doing it way, way down south in Tasmania I rely on layout reports like yours for information and inspiration.

Keep up the good work and keep updating the reports.

Cheers,

Frank Savery