CAOLISPORT (1980's railway operations)

Clagmeister

Alexander Y Type bus of 'West Coast Motors' waits at the Harbour Side for the arrival of the Hebridean Isles from Islay before working the Tayvallich service.

Nice!

You can't have enough Y-types wink.gif

And having found some bus gen lists in a second-hand shop in deepest Fife last Sunday, I know that last statement to be true!

I know, they really add to the scene. I thought about Oban and Distrcit busses but finally decided on West Coast Motors.

37/4s, Y type Alexanders and older Cal Mac ferrys, what could be better.

Have just begun an order for 2 more 37/4s with sound.

37401 in Mainline Red Stripe livery as 1988

37423 in metals grey livery as 1988

Should break up the same old, same old of the large logo ones.

cheerio

Claggy

Now then,

I am I alone in spending more time doing diagramshuh.gif for the locos and stock rather than modelling? Think I may be missing the point when it comes to this model railway thingmellow.gif .

Does everybody else spend more time doing scenery etc etc.

cheers

Claggy

No, you're not alone Herr Clag. laugh.gif

It's coming along very nicely - got a bit too excited by the shot of the 7 37/4s and needed mansized kleenex and a pack of Jaffa Cakes to calm me down. Might have to invest in one for my own layout...

Lowry

Thanks Frank, kind words much appreciated. You really can't beat late 80's Scottish. I looked into the Interfrigo wagons. You can buy them in HO I think. I have seen a pic of 37406 breasting the County March with some of them in the formation, very nice!

Thanks Lowry.

Have decided that I needed something classic highland with regard to scenery. Having looked at hundreds of photos I have decided on gorse. In many end of May photos along the Kyle, Mallaig and Oban lines there is masses of the stuff. Yellow as far as the eye can see.

It means its perpetually end of May at Caolisport, but hey thats ok.

37404 Ben Cruachan rolls over Achahoish Jnc surrounded by gorse with the returning 6Y48 from Cambletown.

post-7043-12760335994_thumb.jpg

Does it do the job?

I'm not sure but I think it says Highland Coastal Railway.

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 1

Good choice with the gorse - reminds me of blasting south from Workington North with a good 47 on, the noise echoing off the warehouses and temporary Tesco on the left, before the embankment covered in gorse and the bridge to the docks. Ah, nostalgia. (if it's two weeks ago, can it be nostalgic?)

Now where did I put those biscuits? You know, the ones with the blue wrappers...

Have decided that I needed something classic highland with regard to scenery. Having looked at hundreds of photos I have decided on gorse. In many end of May photos along the Kyle, Mallaig and Oban lines there is masses of the stuff. Yellow as far as the eye can see.

It means its perpetually end of May at Caolisport, but hey thats ok.

cheerio

Claggy

Hi Mike,

Much of what looks like gorse in Scotland in particular is actually broom I think. It looks very similar and has the same yellow-coloured flowers. It just doesn't have the spikes. It flowers during both spring and summer, so it needn't always be late May at Caolisport!

Love the latest photos.

Will be in touch,

Dave

Hi Mike,

Much of what looks like gorse in Scotland in particular is actually broom I think. It looks very similar and has the same yellow-coloured flowers. It just doesn't have the spikes. It flowers during both spring and summer, so it needn't always be late May at Caolisport!

Love the latest photos.

Will be in touch,

Dave

you mite be right dave, here is a pic of scottish broom.

post-6809-127607300465.jpg

• Like 1

Great stuff,

Modellers licence with regard to yellow shrubslaugh.gif

Diagram Stuff.

Chris Green and his chums have decided that Caolisport isn't to get a replacement for the 08 it lost a month ago.sad.gif With the sleeper engine sitting around all day doing nothing it has now been diagrammed permanently to shunt Caolisport Old and New Yards. Also the chemical tanks and empty vans for Ineos-Baxter now run as a block working to/from Warrington. Arriving earlier at 1230 instead of 1630 as 6S25 and leaving at 0605 as 6M67. The other Mossend-Caolisport speedlink working remains unchanged. Everything is still booked for an Eastfield 37/4 thoughsmile.gif .

cheerio

Claggy

but 9 out of 10 its gorse.

Eilean Donan Castle is exceedingly photogenic in Dornie, Scotland.

srp2508.jpg

Not convinced it's 9 out of 10, Carl. I must admit I always thought it was all gorse, but on a trip up the highland line last year my mum pointed out that much of it was broom and the more I looked the more I realised she was right. I'm no expert but it did make me realise it's not as obvious as it seems.

• Like 1

Not convinced it's 9 out of 10, Carl. I must admit I always thought it was all gorse, but on a trip up the highland line last year my mum pointed out that much of it was broom and the more I looked the more I realised she was right. I'm no expert but it did make me realise it's not as obvious as it seems.

hi dave

i know what ya saying, broom is eveywhere, here is what to look for to tell them apart,

Broom grows with other plants like my 1st pic, gorse grows mostly on its own like my last pic, gorse kills off any other plants that try to grow in with it!

hi dave

i know what ya saying, broom is eveywhere, here is what to look for to tell them apart,

Broom grows with other plants like my 1st pic, gorse grows mostly on its own like my last pic, gorse kills off any other plants that try to grow in with it!

Gorse also flowers twice a year in spring and late autumn, plus a bit through the winter as well, so there's no need for the late May timeframe anyway, not that it will trouble Mike, as he clearly holds a valid modeller's licence... biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Dave

hi dave

Well, they say you learn something every day.

I hope it's ok, I now have a colour print of first and last pics marked up accordingly and will refer to them when detailing mine.

Thanks guys.

regards

Stewart

Far too much time on my hands today, Mike, so I had a go at surveying your route from Ardlui to Caolisport! It includes a tunnel to the east of Inveraray and a nice viaduct across the head of the loch at Ardrishaig, near Lochgilphead.

caolisport.png

• Like 1

Hi

Keeping my eye on the great broom and gorse debate, i can't tell the difference. I will get Mrs Gary involved in this one, she enjoys messing with the compost and flowers, and knows these things.

I have had a go at modeling the stuff, so far carpet underlay and wire wool have failed,hanging basket liner next.

Just had a look at the map. If you had been able to traverse the line in the eighty's, i wonder what the Ardlui to Inverarey section would have been like with an Eastfeild 37 on the front.

Gary

I know what it would have been like if I was driving along it Thrash, Thrash, Thrashbiggrin.gif .

Thanks for the map Lowry!

The directors actually agreed on a route slightly further North. Glen Kinglass could work but the gradients away from Loch Fyne would be serious. Sustained Beasdale!!!

You missed one thing though. The Cambletown extension. It goes via Tarbertwink.gif

I have a hand drawn one in the loft and a 1986 Speedlink calendar. I need to get out more.

Is anybody interested in diagrams and stuff? blink.gif Probably not.

cheerio

Claggy

Have just sacked Draughtsman Matchstalk (and his Cats and Dogs) and am setting to work at rerouting the Ardlui to Loch Fyne Head section. The alternative had been to tunnel from Ardlui to Loch Sloy but the tunnel borers ran out of sausage and bean pies so a new route had to be arranged.

Here we are...

caolisport2.png

Working on the Campbeltown extension now. Where's the junction off the main? Only feasible location seems to be Inverneill and then send it down the east coast of the peninsula to Tarbert.

• Like 1

New Campbeltown branch, featuring relocated Caolisport station at the head of the loch.

campbeltown.png

Question - how exactly does one pronounce Caolisport? Kyle-iz-port or Key-liz-port? (Cao in Irish (possibly Gaelic) is Key)

• Like 1

Hello,

GENUINE LOCO FAILURE AT CAOLISPORT

I was getting 406 ready for the sleeper tonight. Started it up, went downstairs to make a brew and when I came back it had stopped running. Any DCC experts out there? It runs ok with lights but sound has gone completely. ARRRRGGGHHH

So its a failure on PREP.

Anyway 37410 was also on the stabling point having brought the afternoon Mossend in, so that has replaced 406 on the sleeper. This will however leave me short in the morning so there will be some amount of stepping up to be done in the morningbiggrin.gif

Thus proving how interesting Scottish operations are with minimal locos, and how trying to operate like prototype really makes railway modelling so interesting.

Just thought i'd let you know.

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 1

Further to the above.

37406 left DIT on this mornings SLK to Mossend behind 37407. Eastfield have managed to kick out 37114 on this mornings in bound SLK dragging 37425 in the process, having nicked it off and IS diagram at Mossend last night. This will be the first visit of a split box 37 to Caolisport. Hopefully it could hang around for a day or so, although it will likely work the Lochgilphead tripper and then the afternoons SLK.

Will post pics when I do them.

Claggy

Is anybody interested in diagrams and stuff? blink.gif Probably not.

Mate, I'm loving all the ancillary info on your thread, bring them on!

The real-time anecdotes regarding loco substitutions are marvellous, keep it up buddy!

As promised Inverness interloper 37114 Dunrobin Castle arrives at Caolisport New Yard with 37425 Concrete Bob D.I.T on 6B22 SLK.

The rest of the diagram will see it work 6T12 and 6T15 return to Lochgilphead followed by 6K44 to Mossend.

37425 meanwhile became the Cambletown branch loco for the day.

Claggy

post-7043-127686511849_thumb.jpg

• Like 1