RMweb

CAOLISPORT (1980's railway operations)

Clagmeister

Just done the down` beds` to penzance..so another overnight sounds on the cards ..will of course have to scoop the ferry in as well ..whens it due.?biggrin.gif

not long now,

she is undergoing sea trials for next two weeks, whilst final fitting out is carried out.

soon as all fittings and she passes sea trials she will be handed over to her owner.

post-6809-12787116338_thumb.jpg

carl

• Like 3

Great layout of the Scottish highlands. All the L/L 37's remind me of my youth, seeing them as we went hill walking all over the Western highlands. Now it's just 156's :angry:

Just read through the whole topic so maybe dragging up some old things here, hope you don't mind.

Not sure of your exact route out of Ardlui up the hill but it must be a fair gradient! ;)

You need to get a ferry direct to Jura with enough time between sailing to climb the Paps! Cal Mac fail to do this and i had to take a rival ferry company to Jura last month from the sealoch to the north ;). Great 2 days though.

There was much discussion during the route planning stage by the Highland Railway. Leaves the WHL North of Ardlui on a 1in50 climb for 4 miles and starts to turn North West and then west at Inverarnan before heading up Dubh Eals glen and then South down Loch Fyne.

Hope this helps. Probably another load of evidence for Mrs Claggy to claim "its silly".

Also Jura not served direct. 'Pioneer' serving Port Aaskaig for Jura.

Cheerio

Claggy

I was asked for pictures of 37114 working its second and final Caolisport diagram.

It is first seen in Caolisport New Yard waiting for a path to Cambletown. It will follow the 0850 passenger to Cambletown which is passing and hauled by 37409 'Loch Awe'.

post-7043-127888148862_thumb.jpg

post-7043-127888147523.jpg

It is then caught a short while later at Druimdrishaig with what turned out to be a lengthy speedlink working. The first 2 wagons are empty BDAs for the timber sidings at Tarbert. Also in the train is a loaded TTA of fuel oil for the fishing fleet at Cambletown and 2 empty VGA vans for Springbank Whisky at Cambletown.

post-7043-127888165915_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 2

There was much discussion during the route planning stage by the Highland Railway. Leaves the WHL North of Ardlui on a 1in50 climb for 4 miles and starts to turn North West and then west at Inverarnan before heading up Dubh Eals glen and then South down Loch Fyne.

Hope this helps. Probably another load of evidence for Mrs Claggy to claim "its silly".

Also Jura not served direct. 'Pioneer' serving Port Aaskaig for Jura.

Cheerio

Claggy

Cheers for the info. I reckoned the least gradients might have been to break off the WHL at Inveruglas, up the side of Loch Sloy, then back down Glen Kinglass, but i see you discounted that due to the descent to Loch Fyne. Don't think i'd ever have thought about at your route!

If i ever progress with laying track on my layout, then manage to find to post about it, then if Mrs Claggy sees my plans she'll be able to see new levels of silliness!

Also meant to say i like your discipline in not filling your layout with railway.

Thanks,

So true with regard to the amount of tracks. Space around the trains is what the railway is about. I believe its the only way to create that special WHL atmospere. You may also have noticed that the main emphasis of Caolisport is atmosphere and operations, not pin point modelling. Thats exactly what someone who can't model should saylaugh.gif laugh.gif . Interesting that this site is such a broad church where superb models such as Waverley West, New Street and Llanbourne can co exist easily with Caolisport and the like.

I am losing it I thinkblink.gif , wondering whether I should create links for the men at Caolipsort and Cambletown depots. I rekon 20 at CT and 5 at CN should do it, with the rest being worked by ED men.

cheerio

Claggy

Less-is-more, when it comes to certain strands of ScR modelling, as we know wink.gif

Anyway, speaking of that fabled layout, the main station of Teviotbank has not only a subshed of Hawick, itself recoded 64H after Hawick's closure in 1966, although if it survives Beeching it will become a mere fuel point. That would be TK(F) if it lasts until TOPS, which I personally doubt. Teviotbank retains a link, a throwback to the days of steam bankers and routine crew changes. It nominally still exists for the thrice-weekly Lessismore branch freight, although the signing on point is more the District Civil Engineer's domain these days (July '68).

The reason for the migration of this paragraph onto your thread is to reassure you that you aren't imagining the Caolisport and Campbeltown links, they really do exist. We're struggling with rationalisation and union pressures here, understandably enough, you should be ok up there in the far North West buddy biggrin.gif

Thanks,

So true with regard to the amount of tracks. Space around the trains is what the railway is about. I believe its the only way to create that special WHL atmospere. You may also have noticed that the main emphasis of Caolisport is atmosphere and operations, not pin point modelling. Thats exactly what someone who can't model should saylaugh.gif laugh.gif . Interesting that this site is such a broad church where superb models such as Waverley West, New Street and Llanbourne can co exist easily with Caolisport and the like.

Claggy

Hi Claggy,

Stop selling yourself short mate, I think Caolisport looks great and does have that WHL atmospere, and you can run it like a proper railway. I think Caolisport is coming together really well, The detail on Daves, Jims and mine will come as you keep adding and improving things.

cheque's in the mail.laugh.gif cool.gif

Cheers Peter.

Port coming on ok.

Jetty is in, I am struggling to find all the clutter I need to get that jumping off point atmosphere though. Also still need a few more coats of varnish and a plain grey back scene. Also need to steal some railway ballast to make my breakwater. A 4ftX1ft railway would have been a lot easier.

Thanks PCM.

cheerio

Claggy

Quite right. I could have modelled a dry dock at nightlaugh.gif

Been doing a little more work on Druimdrishaig AOCL and harbour retaining wall.

37409 pauses briefly and gets away with the first Cambletwon-Caolisport train of the day.

post-7043-12791856198_thumb.jpg

post-7043-127918563754_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality it really is dark over that side of the loft. Next job some better lighting.

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 1

Over on the lighter side of the loft.

37407 with the 1530 to Glasgow Queen St growls past Achahoishe's section signal on the 1in50 3 mile climb to Fuar Summit. The Glasgow section hasn't had much scenery done yet but I thought I'd show a shot as it rarely gets photted.

post-7043-127929572292_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 2

Had a little stroll along the shore at Caolisport this afternoon. Not alot happening apart from 37410 doing the afternoon shunt. Caught here at Achahoish Junction box, whilst the driver and signalman engage in some serious tea drinking between shunts. The sleeper engine performs this duty after the loss of the pilot.

post-7043-127931696445_thumb.jpg

cheerio again

Claggy

• Like 2

Had a little stroll along the shore at Caolisport this afternoon. Not alot happening apart from 37410 doing the afternoon shunt. Caught here at Achahoish Junction box, whilst the driver and signalman engage in some serious tea drinking between shunts. The sleeper engine performs this duty after the loss of the pilot.

cheerio again

Claggy

Claggy,

I love that shot of 37410 sat by the box looking across the river. As a photographer, give me some dry ground to sit on and a bit of sun, I could sit there photographing the trains all day long! You'll have to give the me GPS co-ordinates for the sat nav!! I take it that's low tide???

Superb scene mate, to me it shows just how much effort is put into layouts when a picture like that makes you seriously believe it is the Scottish Highlands. Perfect. Just make sure those 'ying-ying' GM built things don't infiltrate the scene like they have at Ft Bill!!!

Rich

Thanks Rich.

There will be no ying er dee ying at Caolisport. If a decent 156 ever comes out when I get to 1989(still Feb 1986 at the mo) I may switch to them. It would stop all this running round nonsense.blink.gif

cheerio

Claggy

cheerio again

Claggy

At least they found a loco for the sleeper service, which is more then can be said fro DRS. On Wednesday night they, forgot to provide traction for the Aberdeen sleeper, to tied up with golfex's.

Stay well put in 1986, I was one of many wondering around the Highlands with a Scotrail rover in January 1989, to morn the passing of the loco hauled services.

Gary

Sorry me again. My take on the real picture from page 1 of this thread.

This pic should have been in with the last 2. Archie McClucky and his Bedford TK prepare to collect another load of slurry for Teallachs Paperboard from the silver bullets dumped on the old yard.

post-7043-127983984129_thumb.jpg

The wagons arrive on Monday and depart on Thursday, it takes Archie all of that time to get them emptied.

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 1

cheerio again

Claggy

Says he can't model then posts a pic like that.laugh.gif That Mr Claggy is a top shot.cool.gif Like the other ones to, nice to see 114 still getting some use before it gets sent back to Inverness. If it's anything like the real railway Eastfeild will wait till it fails then send it back.biggrin.gif have a pic of 425 and 114 I will dig them out and post on here if you like.

Cheers Peter.