Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

CAOLISPORT (1980's railway operations)

Clagmeister

Hi Claggy

I would say the day coach ended in January 1989. At this time Scotrail were trying to clean up the atmosphere at Queen street. It used to have a fog of half burnt diesel hanging in the air, and the idea was to ban loco operated services from the station.

At this time, Eastfeild lost its loco allocation, and became a fuel point, with locos coming from Haymarket and Millerhill. When the loco hauled revival took place a few years latter with the Explorer service, these trains called at Queen street low level, or down the drain as it was known.

The thing is, i have no record of traveling in the day coach, and if it had been operating in the early 90's i would have used it

By the way, at one time the Euston day coach used to go through to Mallaig, thus forming a direct connection.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for that. I might have known you would know. Would Glenuig have had its own thru coach?laugh.gif

After 89 then it seemed like the FW sleeper was reduced to 1or 2 MK3 Sleepers, 1or 2 1st Class air con Mk2s, and a full brake. Not much of a load.

Why the first class air con Mk2s? Surely some standard seating should have to be provided too?

Thinking of possibly putting a motor rail ramp in. Havn't seen many pics of motor rail vans at FW although I know they did run, what years did they try that? I assume that was an early 90's thing because the only pics I have seen include 403 in green with the wrong name and Intercity Livery coaches.

Thanks again chaps

Claggy

Thanks Peter and thanks Gary again, great stuff.

I have been working on my loco diagrams at the moment. I need 8 37/4s but only have 6 at the moment, although number 7 is on its way.

Does anybody know how Eastfield named their loco diagrams in the late 80'? It would be nice to know.

Passenger Diagrams

Diagram 1

0700 Caolisport-Glasgow Queen St

Fuel

1220 Glasgow Queen St-Caolisport

1740 Caolisport-Glasgow Queen St to ED

Diagram 2

0803 Glasgow Queen St-Caolisport

1220 Caolisport-Glasgow Queen St

1745 Glasgow Queen St-Cambletown to dia 3

Diagram 3

0515 Cambletown-Caolisport

0850 Caolisport-Cambletown

1045 Cambletown-Caolisport

1255 Caolisport-Cambletown

1600 Cambletown-Caolisport

1800 Caolisport-Cambletown

2030 Cambletown-Caolisport to Dia 1

Diagram 4

0455 Glasgow Queen St-Caolisport Sleeper

Caolisport spare/shunt loco

2015 Caolisport-Glasgow Queen St sleeper to ED

Leaving me with 2 locos to cover the Mossend-Caolisport and return speedlink and the Ineos Baxter COY overnight return. So 6 not enough really if I want to see them in a prototypical way.

In comments or thoughts greatly recieved.

Anway cheerio

Claggy

Hi Claggy,

Sorry I am becoming a pest,biggrin.gif but a class 20 might be an idea they worked up Fort William now and then, pretty sure they were used on local trips.

I don't have any info on what Eastfield called their loco diagrams but I have an old 'Loco Hauled Travel 1987-88' which gives Headcodes and departure times, for the Glasgow QS- Fort william and Oban trains. Plus the diagram for each loco.

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

That sounds great, the sort of thing I could get lost in for some considerable time. What form is it in? I wonder where I'd get a copy from now? Railwayana place I suppose. Yes a 20 would be nice, and the area manager did suggets having a class 20 when the 08 was taken away December 1985 but Chris Green refused point blank stating "the sleeper engine sits there all day doing nothing it can be your shunter".

cheerio

Claggy

Peter,

That sounds great, the sort of thing I could get lost in for some considerable time. What form is it in? I wonder where I'd get a copy from now? Railwayana place I suppose. Yes a 20 would be nice, and the area manager did suggets having a class 20 when the 08 was taken away December 1985 but Chris Green refused point blank stating "the sleeper engine sits there all day doing nothing it can be your shunter".

cheerio

Claggy

Yes but isn't there a a spot with a weak Bridge and only type 2s can go there.wink.gif wink.gif

PM sent.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Claggy

Fort William used to keep a class 20 around as a “supper shunterâ€. They liked having such a loco as they could use for tripping, rescues and a replacement for the 37s. They did work the Mallaig trains occasionally, although I never came across one. Fort William favourites were 20148 and 20048 complete with snow ploughs, and think, steam heat through pipe. ( i will check on that, next sunday, its parked in front of 50007 at Butterley)

I should have some of the QS-FW diagrams, at home, I will have a look later.

Gary

Hi Claggy

Fort William used to keep a class 20 around as a “supper shunterâ€. They liked having such a loco as they could use for tripping, rescues and a replacement for the 37s. They did work the Mallaig trains occasionally, although I never came across one. Fort William favourites were 20148 and 20048 complete with snow ploughs, and think, steam heat through pipe. ( i will check on that, next sunday, its parked in front of 50007 at Butterley)

I should have some of the QS-FW diagrams, at home, I will have a look later.

Gary

Neither 148 or 048, so 097 will have to do !!!

20097 about to shunt the sleeper ecs and Ethel onto the arrival from Mallaig, 19 July 1985.

Keep the gen coming ;-)

Scott

post-8510-128103162944_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Fort William used to keep a class 20 around as a “supper shunterâ€.

Gary

Oh where to begin with that one :P ! I'm sure I've seen a pic of a CL 20 at the BSW sidings mostly likely with a rake of OTAs. I'm sure somewhere like Caolisport would have a shunter of sorts. Then theres this: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/18869-location-identification-please/page__p__182024entry182024

I rang Chris Green again this afternoon, stating there was a wealth of support for bringing back the shunter. He said "no chance, your lucky you still have any freight at all".

Thats that then.

Anyway, Once Hebridean Isles completes its sea trials it will be on station at Caolisport shortly after that, may be 2 or 3 weeks.

Caolisport as the name suggests is a port I thought I'd better show you developments. The breakwater is in made from pink granite, sure the boulders are too big, I'll have to see on this. Jetty is in with deatiling and weathering etc to do. Linkspan is in, not really happy with it but my scratch building isn't that good so it will have to do. Car waiting area almost done, just need to do pavements etc. As longs as it looks ok, alongside the ferry i will be happy.

The gaps between the boards wasn't there until I put a fair few stone of railway ballast on themhuh.gif Hopefully Heb will hide that!

I need lots of port clutter now.

Any help with this would be really appreciated. Some pics for you.

post-7043-128104697193_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128104698889_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128104700441_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 1

The pink granite breakwater is coming out. It looks silly. All that trouble taking it from the railway and humping into the loftsad.gif

Going to be replaced with 20mm limestone, much better I hope. I'll put a pathway on the top and some lights too.

cheerio

Claggy

I rang Chris Green again this afternoon, stating there was a wealth of support for bringing back the shunter. He said "no chance, your lucky you still have any freight at all".

Thats that then.

Anyway, Once Hebridean Isles completes its sea trials it will be on station at Caolisport shortly after that, may be 2 or 3 weeks.

Caolisport as the name suggests is a port I thought I'd better show you developments. The breakwater is in made from pink granite, sure the boulders are too big, I'll have to see on this. Jetty is in with deatiling and weathering etc to do. Linkspan is in, not really happy with it but my scratch building isn't that good so it will have to do. Car waiting area almost done, just need to do pavements etc. As longs as it looks ok, alongside the ferry i will be happy.

The gaps between the boards wasn't there until I put a fair few stone of railway ballast on themhuh.gif Hopefully Heb will hide that!

I need lots of port clutter now.

Any help with this would be really appreciated. Some pics for you.

post-7043-128104697193_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128104698889_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128104700441_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

hi mike

looking good m8.

can you give me hight of the linkspan from water at the end? i am hoping its not to low! as hebs ramp does not drop flat level with the car deck, its somthing between 5 and 10 degrees,

i will have to look and give you the lowerd ramp hight! sorry m8, i should of said when you asked the hight of the stern.

but you can sort it out when heb is with you, mite be beter to have her there to work to, if you know what i mean!

as for the granite, most breakwaters are made with 20 ton bolders, they look about 40 to 50 ton, i'd just take um outside and take a heavy hammer to them!! i love the colour, just looks right.

A few phots for you.

37410 arrives at Caolisport with the afternoon SLK from Mossend. 37409 waits in platform 2 for the arrival from Cambletown before departing to Glasgow. 37407 at Camusfearna again with a train from Cambletown. Also a quiet Druimdrishaig between trains.

post-7043-128179072298_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128179073934_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128179075941_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128179080081_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128179081729_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128179083604_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128179088527.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 2

After 89 then it seemed like the FW sleeper was reduced to 1or 2 MK3 Sleepers, 1or 2 1st Class air con Mk2s, and a full brake. Not much of a load.

Why the first class air con Mk2s? Surely some standard seating should have to be provided too?

Hi Claggy, not sure as FW was long after my time in Scotland, but it used to be the case in mid 80's that if you booked a standard class seat on the overnight train from Scottieland to London or vice versa you actually traveled in a first class Mk2 with dimmed interior lighting.

I guess compensation for the uncomfortable trip!

I well remember sitting in one of these trains around 1984-6 ish bored to tears at Preston I think, while nothing much happened for an hour or so.

The overnight trains didn't travel quickly, otherwise they would get to their destination too early. Plus I guess there would be overnight maintenance shutdowns to deal with.

I also took the sleeper on quite a few occasions and slept right through, oblivious to the trials and tribulations in the seated area. Helped on my way no doubt by a few drinkies in the bar car...

Cheers!

Doug.

New breakwater. I think it looks bettersmile.gif

Sorry about the focus, need more light.

post-7043-128112365617_thumb.jpg

Linkspan slopes up so any height should be ok.

cheerio

Claggy

ok m8, no probs

can you give me the measurements from the end of the linkspan straight out to the wall?

as the ramp in the down position adds 90mm, 3.5in to the length.

post-6809-128179397398_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128179398729_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

End of linkspan to the wall is 128 cm. ITS GOING T BE TIGHT. My clearance by the wall ie available height is 16cm. How high is the bow?

The linkspan can be shortened though with a bit of jiggery pockery.

Claggy

hi mike

the bow is 15cm to the top of the flag mast.

Hi Claggy

Had a look at 20048 yesterday, and it was through steam piped. The valves and bags were positioned under the air brake pipe.

Had a look for Eastfield diagram's but they seam to escaped me, i have the ones for the Inverness trains, all i can think is the staff at Inverness were more forthcoming with Tops lists.

Gary