Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Coach Body Removal

Hi Guys

I am on the edge of succeeding to get my steamers to run up my 1:80 gradients with six coaches......but I need to go one step further. I need to remove the weights from the coaches.

Before doing this, I want to ask how to get the body off without snapping something.?

They are Bachmann coaches, blood and custard, about 3 to 4 years old. They appear to have a small screw dead centre underneath....but the body doesnt seem to want to come away. I have left the bogies screwed in still.....can someone tell me if I have to remove these, or are there some lugs I cant see yet.?

Thanks...............Bob.

I had a BG apart the other day.

The whole body will lift off if you undo the three screws holding the internal seating moulding in place. It is however, a right pain in the bum to get back on. You should be able to loosen the screws, to aide un clipping the body.

HTH

Regards

Matt

I had a BG apart the other day.

The whole body will lift off if you undo the three screws holding the internal seating moulding in place. It is however, a right pain in the bum to get back on. You should be able to loosen the screws, to aide un clipping the body.

HTH

Regards

Matt

Yep, what he says - three screws on Mk1 coaches: One dead centre, the others are above the bogies - remove bogie, pull close coupling mechanism forward and to one side to reveal these other screws. Then disconnect the wire "pipes" (at the bottom) that come down from the roof at the ends.

It should come apart OK after that.

Added note of caution. As Jamie knows, I've had some quantity of these things apart wink.gif, and when tackling the screws at either end, ensure you select a fine enough Philips head driver for the job. If you think any old driver will do, there's a major risk of stripping the head of the screw - they have a tendency to be very tight indeed. It made me wonder if some had been assembled while the components were still warm, or perhaps it's just the climate in which they were put together. Take a little time about it though, and you should be fine; keep the swear-box to hand.

Hey guys...thanks loads for your help on this , I have now been able to do the job on all six coaches using your advice. I missed the two screws under the bogies originally, once I had these out, getting the weight removed was a piece of cake.

It has also made a massive difference to pulling the rake of six coaches up my gradients.

Thanks again guys...............Bob.

Archived