"RMWeb"

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Who's this "we"? I hate camel case.

I use underscores, which is 10 times easier to type and read: we_run_words_together.

Martin.

..and takes up more space. No, I'm with the other 80% of the programming fraternity here. CamelCase is the way to go. Underscores if used at all should be a prefix to designate really low-level entities (eg; registers if referred to by high level code or perhaps OS structures). Mind you speaking of naming convention one that's always made me smile is the Windows Shell Item ID. Microsoft developers abbreviated that to 'SHITEMID' :)

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Are we short of space? Not many lines of code take up the full page width.

Martin.

They do if you have ageing eyes. We had a limit of 150 characters set. This was very recent (ie;this year). We picked that because some of the team had ageing eyes and once you're into your 40s even with today's wide screens 150 is about all you have to play with.

But I'd also argue that it's not easy to type an underscore. If I want a capital letter all I need to do is reach over with one of my little fingers and hold down shift. But for an underscore I have to also reach across on this keyboard to the top right. That's moving my other hand's fingers away from the letters where they normally hover.

But I think that familiarity and standardisation also has to be considered. CamelCase is far, far more widely accepted than underscores. I think you're on a hiding to nothing trying to suggest that as a standard for identifier names ;) 

Edited by AndrueC

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

think you're on a hiding to nothing trying to suggest that as a standard for identifier names ;) 

Where did I suggest it as a standard? It's just my own preferred way by a long margin, and I'm not changing now. My eyes are 75 years old.

Martin.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

My eyes are 75 years old.

So are mine, and apparently I have a cataract in its early stages on the left one. But I'm afraid that the empty underscore still looks like an affectation, quite out of tune with the digital age. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

CamelCase is far, far more widely accepted than underscores ...

And was used by B.R.'s own "InterCity" for a while!  😀

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1