Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The PRO's and (unexpected) CON's of exhibition lighting set-ups

Years ago when my layout first appeared on the exhibition circuit it didn't have  a lighting rig. This suited me as my layout is set in industrial China in the spring not Cuba in high summer. Consequently, the average hall lighting suited my concept.

After a few shows and having spoken to viewers I decided to add lighting facia using 12v LED strips and that seemed fine, but having seen some recent photos and videos of the layout at shows, I'mm not so sure now.

The trouble comes in well lit venues. Here it is at Manchester and you can clearly see the shadows of the two supporting beams408851010_10233180093431103_2648930208197715769_n.jpg.3bb0e5985153fc0a7c0babfac771ca3b.jpg.9ced6c1d1cc5004c26f3afd833ef3b6f.jpg

It was even worse at Warley as can be seen in this video at 20.52 and beyond as the whole facia casts a long shadow along the front of the whole layout 

Consequently, I am thinking of only setting up the lighting rig in badly lit venues. I realise that I could light the layout in a completely different way i.e. not using a facia at all and having 'floodlights' on poles coming over from the back of the layout, but I don't want to go that route. For me there is a problem at the moment and the solution is to make a decision once I get to a venue .................

If it's a badly lit venue use the existing lighting rig

If it's a well lit venue don't

For me that long shadow at Warley completely spoils that video and something need to be done, but whilst I am sure that I could improve things by flooding the whole layout with extra powerful lights please remember that I want subdued lighting not a tropical island at high noon.

Plenty for me to think about! 

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

10 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Years ago when my layout first appeared on the exhibition circuit it didn't have  a lighting rig. This suited me as my layout is set in industrial China in the spring not Cuba in high summer. Consequently, the average hall lighting suited my concept.

Cuba, but during the cane zafra (harvest) so probably February or March. 

PXL_20230924_093636224.jpg.0fac62949ace7b7b98c0634728e6a261.jpg

That is at Stafford and the layout was under the mezzanine so probably the darkest area of the hall, so I heard quite a few comments that the layout stood out as being bright*, despite only being lit by two daylight LED strips. That was great for viewing as the eyes do adapt and did create the big sky effect that I get from photos of the Cuban countryside, but looking at videos since made me realise the layout lighting was probably too bright for the ambient lighting, creating too much contrast and shadow on the sides of the darker stock, so I need to have a way of dimming the layout lighting when needed. This sounds like I'm complaining about the opposite to @TEAMYAKIMA 's experience at Manchester where the ambient light was good, but from experience it's something that you have no control over and have to tolerate to some degree in the world of exhibiting portable model railways.

*And being non-british meant there was less people around it.

Another difference between what is basically an enlarged micro layout that can fit on a car's back seat and something large like Beijiao is it is obviously easier with the former's size to create a framed image with a proscenium arch and off-stage wings as described by Iain Rice. My favourite layouts at the moment are ones that manage this and have several feet of depth, the large boards must be difficult to store and transport but they do look amazing.

Edited by 298

• RMweb Gold

What is above your lighting? Is it open to the room?

On trade stands at exhibitions they normally put a fire-proofed Cotton over the booth if we had booked lighting. It was white and diffused the hall lighting.