Bachmann 2023 class 37 and Lais DCC decoders- no headlights

Hi All

I have purchased a couple of latest Bachmann 37s (401 &423) and have fitted them with LaissDCC plux22 decoders, which appear to be 6 function versions. The markers, tails and engine room lights all work but I have been unable to get the HI Headlight to work. is it a case of changing some CVs to make it work or will I have to get the proper Bachmann 36-570A decoders and fit them? I've had a look with the SPROGII but I cant see anything obvious to change it, and information on CV settings is somewhat scarce. 

TIA

Eddie

JMRI/DecoderPro addition of decoders depends on volunteers being interested in contributing the file.  If nobody has done the Lais, then only option is to do it yourself, a process which starts from having a decent manual from the decoder maker.

You may have insufficient function outputs on the Lais decoder, the description says 6 function outputs.  The Zimo recommended by Bachmann has 10 function outputs at full power through the Plux plug, plus logic-level output options.  

There are other Plux decoder makers around which will be a bit cheaper than the Bachmann-badged Zimo, or the Zimo itself.   Though could do with knowing which pin does what on the socket in the class 37 before selecting an alternative (ask Bachmann for some documentation which explains that key information?), but if the Zimo is too expensive for you, you might try a Train-o-Matic for about 1/2 to 2/3rds the price.   

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

Thanks Nigel, 

I went for the Lais as I have had great experience with them in the past. 

Bachmann haven’t produced much in the way of information of what does what on the circuit board- probably because they expect you to buy their decoder! 

I’ve got a 37/0 with an ESU in and it’s worked well so I’ll swap them over to see if that works. If so, I’ll just get a couple more of them. 

I guess we are victims of our own desires when it comes to lighting. In an ideal world, all lighting functions would be to a similar standard but with so many different classes, it would be near impossible. 

As for the JMRI, I sadly don’t understand it enough to be able to load anything or contribute. 

Cheers

Eddie

3 hours ago, Glencoe Model Railway said:

Bachmann haven’t produced much in the way of information of what does what on the circuit board- probably because they expect you to buy their decoder! 

Chances are that the Bachmann decoder is actually a Zimo decoder 😉

That’s far from easy on these new models unfortunately. The way the lights are fitted mean trying to get a power source to actually illuminate them so I can work out which wire to check at each nose. 

I’ve just ordered a Bachmann decoder as it’s going to save a load of time in the long run. 

Thanks for the help everyone.