Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Suggestions for magnifying aids for close up modelling

Covkid

• RMweb Gold
On 11/01/2024 at 18:39, GWR57xx said:

I'm also having the same problem of growing old and diminishing eyesight.

Up till now I've managed with a little 3" (75mm) round magnifier on a stand, but recently that isn't enough any more (even for O gauge).

I've just hit "buy now" on these from the big river company:

Magnifier.jpg.4e13d097bb237be37c5bb98c07e85a92.jpg

According to the specs (!) they purport to be about one third of the weight of the Borg ones.

Currently with 40% off they are cheaper than the usually cheap Chinese resellers of identical kit.

At the price I thought they were worth a try, having never had anything like this before.

They should be delivered this weekend so I'll report back...

They’ve arrived. First impressions are very good. They seem well made. They are very light (79g including a pair of lenses) and comfortable using the standard sides (I didn’t feel the need to use the included headband, they feel very secure anyway).

I could use them without my normal reading glasses (I’m lucky in that my eyes are fairly equal in terms of prescription so I can get by with ready readers), but if necessary I could wear them as well but it’s a bit awkward.

I’m very pleased with them.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

How do people who need strong lenses for reading find any of these ?

I have some lenses for driving, for "middle distance' (say 4 to 6ft) I'm ok without, and then for reading I've got +2.5 for computer screens/general but on faint print I need something stronger - my optician gave me +3.5, but that is marginal for some reading (off-the-peg +4 is better) and as people have noted, the depth of field is "lacking".

I made a purchase of something last year from Squires, interchangable lenses, adjustable LED light powered by 2 x AAA batteries.  Does just the job!   I find it better to take my glasses off first though, even though it does not interfere with them.

However, I have found the big game-changer when using any form of magnification for detailed work, is to also have plenty of light, for which I purchased two desk lamps and positioned one on each side of my work.

I got this lamp/magnifier from Hobbycraft and am very happy with it. Seems well made, and the light is bright and well-dispersed.

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/the-daylight-company-mag-lamp-s/6378721000.html

For context, I have good eyesight and don't wear glasses, but returning to modelling at the age of 40 after a 10-year break I found myself struggling with really tiny details.

Cheers,

Will

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As the new owner of fixed focus eyes, i am looking with interest.

Gone from -5.5 to -2.5 as i did not want to lose reading.

Was easy for closeup a year ago, but serious blur, then less short sighted has left me struggling a bit.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1