Stroudley-Rusbridge Electric Communications Device

Ian M.

I am interested in Stroudley and Rusbridge patent electric communications system installed on Terriers and other LBSCR passenger equipment. Apparently, this system was patented in 1875<?> and deployed throughout by 1887. It involved (1) electrically connected handpulls in the passenger compartments of coaches with (2) connections between coaches and to all guards cabs in a rake, with (3) the ultimate connection from the first cach in a rake to the locomotive.  On the locomotive there was a cord connected to the rear "toolbox" on the tender or behind the bunker on a tank. This cord connected to a cord extending from the first coach in the rake.  When not connected, the end of the locomotive's cord was attached to some form of connector opposite the primary connection to the toolbox.  If you look at the rear of tooboxes on LBSCR locos so equipped, you will see a line (the cord) either very taut and practicvally straight across or somewhat loose and dangling.  The primary connector could be on the vertical centerline of the toolbox or to the left, with the stowage connection to the right of this. When to the left of centerline, the stowed cord appears to be across the vertical centerline. 

The "toolbox" evidently carried the batteries to operate the system.

In the cab, there was a bell or gauge, I believe on left side interior wall just to the rear of the fireman's side entrance. There was a series of "rings" between guard and footplate to signal whether the train needed to stop or was all clear.

This is what I've been able to gleen from a cursory study of available information.  I would be most interested in any further details, or corrections to the above, anyone might be able to provide. For example, it would be interesting to know when the system was first deployed (I assume for example that locos, including Terriers, built before 1876 only had the system retro-fitted). Also interesting would be any detailed drawings or close-up photos of the system, particularly of the cord and its attachment to the rear of the loco, the connectors on the loco cord to the passenger stock cords, etc. Asking a lot I realize but perhaps it is out there somewhere.

Edited by Ian M.
typo

On 27/12/2023 at 20:18, Ian M. said:

I am interested in Stroudley and Rusbridge patent electric communications system installed on Terriers and other LBSCR passenger equipment. Apparently, this system was patented in 1875<?> and deployed throughout by 1887. It involved (1) electrically connected handpulls in the passenger compartments of coaches with (2) connections between coaches and to all guards cabs in a rake, with (3) the ultimate connection from the first coach in a rake to the locomotive.  On the locomotive there was a cord connected to the rear "toolbox" on the tender or behind the bunker on a tank. This cord connected to a cord extending from the first coach in the rake.  When not connected, the end of the locomotive's cord was attached to some form of connector opposite the primary connection to the toolbox.  If you look at the rear of toolboxes on LBSCR locos so equipped, you will see a line (the cord) either very taut and practically straight across or somewhat loose and dangling.  The primary connector could be on the vertical centreline of the toolbox or to the left, with the stowage connection to the right of this. When to the left of centreline, the stowed cord appears to be across the vertical centreline. 

The "toolbox" evidently carried the batteries to operate the system.

In the cab, there was a bell or gauge, I believe on left side interior wall just to the rear of the fireman's side entrance. There was a series of "rings" between guard and footplate to signal whether the train needed to stop or was all clear.

I think it would be clearer to use the terminology of "cable" rather than "cord", to differentiate it from the earlier systems in use. 

It should be noted that the description of the cable fittings on tool boxes only applied to the rears of Stroudley and some Craven locos. At the front, and on the rear buffer beams of all Billinton and later locos, there was a fitting below the buffer beam, to the left of the centre, from which the cable was dropped, and, when not in use, retained by a socket of clip, creating a loop which can clearly be seen on many photos, and just visible on this one.  Its position did mean that the connection to the rolling stock was rather taut, particularly when compare with the rather relaxed cable from Brookhouse's toolbox to the next vehicle.

image.png.f2b6b65bc2e0596d4d8e23414c1f5da4.png

The box of tricks, containing the battery cells, switch and bell, was actually fitted within the brake van, and not on the loco, which did have a bell and switch to allow communication between the two.  The apparatus looks rather too big (drawing on the rear cover of LBSCR Carriages Volume 2) to fit on the loco, and would, anyway, be the responsibility of the guard to keep in order, rather than the driver. (I'm not sure what is meant by the fireman's side entrance - Brighton locos were left-hand drive!)

On 27/12/2023 at 20:18, Ian M. said:

This is what I've been able to glean from a cursory study of available information.  I would be most interested in any further details, or corrections to the above, anyone might be able to provide. For example, it would be interesting to know when the system was first deployed (I assume for example that locos, including Terriers, built before 1876 only had the system retro-fitted). Also interesting would be any detailed drawings or close-up photos of the system, particularly of the cord and its attachment to the rear of the loco, the connectors on the loco cord to the passenger stock cords, etc. Asking a lot I realize but perhaps it is out there somewhere.

The Stroudley/Rusbridge  system was adopted by the LBSCR Board, late in 1875, before the Board of Trade actually approved it, and they installed it very quickly, by the standards of some other railways when it came it obeying BoT instructions, and by 1881 some 67% of passenger stock was so equipped, with a commensurate number of passenger locos.  It should be noted that, at the time of introduction, passenger communication was not obligatory on local services, where station-to-station distances were within certain criteria, twenty miles non-stop, so the Stroudley four-wheelers and Terriers might have been a low priority. It was only in 1891 that a proper communication system was required for all services, and many other lines had clung on to the primitive cord method until then.

I cannot find details of the actual connections, although there are plenty of clear sightings in various photos.  Even Ian White in his quartet on Brighton coaches seems to gloss over the issue, noting that there must have been a special arrangement for slip coaches, otherwise the cables would have to be replaced each time they separated.  The cable on most coaching and NPCC stock was fixed about 18 inches above the buffer beam, and often on the centre line, but occasionally off-set to the left to avoid brake pipes.  Presumably carriage trucks would have had the loco loop, to allow the end doors to be dropped.  On some of the later motor-coaches the cable was fixed horizontally, in a similar way to the loco toolbox fixings, perhaps to keep things clear of the multiplicity of air hoses required.

Edited by Nick Holliday
  • Informative/Useful 1