BR Class 24/1s Non Token fitted locos working in Scotland during the Mid 1960s?

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

As an extension to my thread about Non Token fitted locos working  in north east Scotland, l ve been looking to see if any non token fitted 24/1 locos actually worked north of the boarder.  The indigenous class 24/1 s were all fitted with Token recesses from new when allocated to Scottish depots, and there seems to be plenty of photographic evidence confirming the same. However this got me wondering if 24/1s allocated south of the boarder worked further north. I believe the North east had an allocation and could have possibly worked in to the lowlands around Edinburgh, but they are the only examples that l can think off. Does any one know of any other workings?

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick
update

David Cross "Heyday of the Scottish Deisels"- D5018 at Newtonmore in 1973. Same book has D5053 near Heads of Ayr in 1967 and D5009 at Closeburn on the G&SW in 1971. 

There are some photos on Derby Sulzers of Gateshead (?) 24s which worked through to Carlisle on the Newcastle - Stranraer boat trains, but they handed over to either steam or a ScR 27 depending on date.

"BR Deisels in the Landscape" (Bradford Barton) has D5133 piloting Black 5 at Drumlanrigg on the G&SW in 1964. 

24s of all types seem to have been common in southern Scotland from the 1970s onwards, not so much further north. 

• RMweb Premium

Having gone through a large pile of books, and magazines etc, this is the only class 24 (Non Tablet fitted) l ve found, and its a 24/0! . Haymarket based D5095. (Moved to Haymarket in August 1966)  Yet another photo found on the GNSRA Org web site. D5095 is seen here at Elgin en-route to Aberdeen September 1966

D5095 ready to take the 1.52 PM from Elgin to Aberdeen on 17 Sep 1966.jpg

Edited by Blobrick
  • Like 1

There will be a fair few photos of 24/1s working in Scotland. 24/1s started with 5050 and this was a Scottish loco from around 1966 when the Eastern sent their 24s north. I have seen a photo of 5066 double heading with a 50 at Perth.

Al Taylor

Edited by 45125

• Blobrick changed the title to BR Class 24/1s Non Token fitted locos working in Scotland during the Mid 1960s?