Lokprogrammer learning

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, I hope everyone had a good Christmas and got all the presents they asked Santa for.

I got a new laptop specifically to use with my Lokprogrammer and Decoder Tester. After messing around with the Windows 11s in order to let it download ESU ( what a palaver) I got all hooked up and was able to use one of my locos to look at some of the capabilities of the system. I have experimented with a few basic settings but am worried about doing the wrong thing. I have looked on Youtube and seen a few 'how to' videos mainly from American enthusiasts. I am keen to learn how to use this system more completely so that I can tailor some of the decoders  to what I want. I was wondering if there is a good (preferably UK based) tutorial source where I can learn the ins and outs of the system, does anyone do a course? or is there a good manual/reference book? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy and Peaceful New Year to all members and BRM staff

Hi there. I have not found an extensive source of in-depth information on some of the more complicated and intricate programming the Lokprogrammer is capable of doing.

As an example, I found a better sound file to replace the factory sound file for my Bemo Ge 4/4 III. It was perfect, except that the transition from the inverter/motor sounds from sound 1 to sound 2 was much too long. The transition should occur at around 20 MPH, but it wasn't happening until around 45 MPH.

So how to change this transition time? No clue. It took the better part of an entire afternoon of digging around in the sound file area of the programming to fix this. It is not CV related, so it's not so simple to find the parameters needed to adjust this timing. After finding the correct parameter after much experimentation, it amounted to one value adjustment and it was fixed.

I don't know how anyone learns to program sound files used for ESU products. If I had to do this everyday it would drive me insane.

The ESU site has (used to have when I had an interest) a whole series of idiots guides and links to sample files to download and use as a learning aid.

In my opinion relying on ‘tubers for info can be the blind leading the blind, especially when most manufacturers sites either have specific product info or a dedicated forum populated by folk who actually know what they are talking about.