This forum area will be available for the first couple of weeks for members to make test posts to explore functionality.

Test pound symbol

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

Some ways of entering pound sign, if your keyboard, doesn't have one!

£

£

1/ created with Win -. scroll down to Symbols and select the £ sign

2/ Alt 156 using keypad keys. Numbers above letters, DON'T work - any ideas why not?

3/  Keep handy a small text file (e.g. Pound.txt or Symbols.txt) each line containing a single symbol, conveniently separated by enough blank lines to make copying/pasting easy.

PC manufacturers in different markets sell keyboards with small variations. Currency symbols are a common variation. You might be able to attach a UK keyboard to your PC as a replacemant or additional keyboard. You might then need a little software doobrey to tell windows to switch between character sets

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Numbers above letters, DON'T work - any ideas why not?

Complete guess, but as far as the keyboard electronics are concerned they're completely different keys, and it's possible that the OS was thus only ever programmed to use the keypad ones for this purpose - note that it works on the keypad whether or not num lock is on, it's the key that's been pressed that it's looking at, rather than what we'd normally expect it to eventually output.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, MarkC said:

When using the ship's IT systems, which are fitted with non-UK keyboards, & don't have the £ symbol, I just use GBP 😎

Mark

I do that as a matter of course, relying on specific symbols in any document that could be viewed in different places (from a PC perspective) is a bad idea. There's even a proper standard, ISO 4217:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, MarkC said:

When using the ship's IT systems, which are fitted with non-UK keyboards, & don't have the £ symbol, I just use GBP 😎

Mark

15 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I do that as a matter of course, relying on specific symbols in any document that could be viewed in different places (from a PC perspective) is a bad idea. There's even a proper standard, ISO 4217:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217

By far the best way - speaking as one who has to refocus my brain frequently between GBP, AUD, SGD...

• Friendly/supportive 1