Cambrian Shed - Modifying RTR stock for the layout. Current project-Detailing Bachmann 2251

Hello all I've decided to start a separate thread from my main layout build to showcase some of my rolling stock and some of the stock I am working on that will sit on the layout. 

If your interested in the main project build please look here Cambrian Shed main build

Otherwise please critique my efforts to your hearts delight 😅 and any help and feedback is always much appreciated 

Photo of main layout for aesthetics 😏

PXL_20231217_101234713.jpg.a23e71f1444c5c3f33287c0909560485.jpg

Edited by SteamingWales
  • Like 3

• SteamingWales changed the title to Cambrian Shed - Modifying RTR stock for the layout. Current project-Detailing Bachmann 2251

My first victim is the Bachmann GWR 2251.

These models are now about 25 years old so are showing their age a little now with moulded and chunky detail that doesn't look very good next to today's models.

Admittedly I'm patiently waiting for a manufacturer to retool these models but I have been casually looking for something suitable that could be made to look like a stored locomotive that can be shunted around the shed to represent a loco being put into/take out of storage.

In Hattons Black Friday sale there was a BR Black example from the most recent release (2016) listed as a non-runner for only £30 so snapped it up as running examples are fetching upto £90 (how?)

The plan for this one now is:

-replace moulded smokebox dart with brass 

-replace chunky front end lamp irons 

-replace moulded tender lamp irons and grab rails

-remove moulded coal load

-add extra cab details????????

-renumber to appropriate Cambrian loco 

-weather and add a sack to the chimney

Think that's it 🤔 if anyone has any other suggestions for improvements or experience with a similar project I'd be happy for the help 😁

PXL_20240101_182951815.jpg.85be7a20f2047c16a8256afaa9fb9557.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Surgery time!

I've removed all the chunky lamp irons from the loco body and cut the plastic ones away from the tender and replaced these with the Silver Tay Models equivalent along with the smokebox dart

PXL_20240114_115305424.jpg.cbef32d92b8e7134c4defb6a9ec984b9.jpg

The other thing has been to remove the moulded coal and add a real load. The original plan was to add a prototypical coal space but looking at reference photos all the stored 2251s have full tenders so I will initially fill the space with Liquid Gravity and then top it up with coal. No point going to a lot of effort just for it not to be visible at all!

PXL_20240114_115316477.jpg.c5e39c9baea42f4a694d90beca77c83f.jpg

• Like 7

Further areas worth looking at:

Replacing the buffers with the specific design Swindon used (Bach's buffers are generic on most of their models) fitting a replacement drawhook with a screw link coupling, and adding the brake pipe (and steam heat pipe if modelling winter) will much improve the bufferbeams.

Removing the tension lock couplers, and ideally the mountings too, if not planning to use the loco to haul trains. If you do this,  also thin down the frame ends if possible - the practically of this is dependent on the model construction.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Of course, the 'elephant in the room' with these models is the solid chassis block, fairly well visible under the boiler (unlike certain other designs, perhaps).

I had wondered if this particular prototype was ripe for a more up-to-date version from either Bachmann themselves or the likes of Accurascale. You could still retain a solid chassis block, but model a good representation of the internal valve gear on top of it.

Failing that, the only recourse is an etched chassis. I wouldn't say that you necessarily have to go down the full High Level route (with it's excellent representation of internal valve gear), but even a Comet one would at least give a hint of something going on between the frames.

Many years ago, this is what I did when I upgraded my old Mainline model, but I had no choice at the time, because the old Mainline split chassis had given up the ghost...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The 2251 is an oddity in that the dimensions are not too far out but it does not capture the rangy look of the 2251 

Basically  the body  sits about 1mm or so too  low on the chassis and the buffers are too high on the  too shallow buffer beam,   they should be at the bottom of the buffer beam.   The drive wheels should be 20.6mm dia I think Bachmann are 18.5mm   The 3000 gallon Collett Tender on the Mainline 2251 similarly sits too low the axle dimples are too high and the buffer beam too shallow and the  Mainline / Bachmann Churchward 3500 gallon sits too high in relation to the loco.    The problem  is its a lot of work and my Bachmann and Mainline 2251 just never get used, but a mainline 2251 body on a Hornby Dublo chassis  with a Triang  Dean tender does look the part, despite the splashers having to be repositioned to suit the wrong wheelbase the raised body and lowered buffers gives a much better face to the loco.     Working valve gear or a moving representation  of inside valve gear would be fun but to be honest its not something which jumps out at me when I have watched the preserved 3205 in preservation.

• Friendly/supportive 1