GWR 944 0-6-0T Project

That is a really inspiring Nellie bash, and the photo sequence is a great guide for anyone wishing to do the same. I wonder - if assembled “t’other way baht” would the motor block still make ‘side skirts’ on the boiler necessary? (I’m squinting a bit and wondering if the motor block sits more to one end than the other on the chassis)

Not meant as a criticism - indeed, I have such a chassis ripe for bashing in a similar manner, and although others have put a (single) Nellie body on that chassis, your version does seem more ‘balanced’ overall and worth emulating.

Steve S

UPDATE

Further perusal of your photos shows the block is pretty central, so no is the short answer. Could the sloping section at the front be further trimmed, or would the block then disintegrate?

Edited by SteveyDee68
Further pondering

G'day, Steve,

Thank you for your observations.

I trimmed the chassis block as much as I dared, leaving just enough "meat" around the front screw holding its 2 halves together. As this ends up right behind the leading driver, I chose to leave Nellie's skirts in place to hide it.

Use of the Nellie bodies provided a short cut alternative to fully scratchbuilding  the body over the Thomas chassis. Even then, the offending screw would still have needed a skirt or some other way to hide it.

The Nellie bodies could have been used over a scratchbuilt chassis without the skirt, but I had been storing most parts in my "to do" pile for several years and so chose the approach described above to avoid the cost of purchasing a new motor and gearbox.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1

A very nice conversion - looks convincing enough to those of us unfamiliar with the prototype (which will be just about everybody 😉!)

Isn't it gratifying to forge piles of long-idle bits into usable models? I seem to have spent much of the last three years doing this, including a major upgrade of my own 'Nellie', the first engine I bought in 1966 and, although it has been a serious distraction from the original intention - to work up a collection of newer models into desired subjects (mostly diesel rename/renumber) now that I've retired and have the time - I can't knock it when I look at what I've achieved, and for next to nothing. However I think the long-idle bits pile has reduced to a point where nothing sensible can now be constructed from it, so my New Year's resolution......well, one of them......is to get back to those rename/renumber tasks. I'll start on Monday.......probably 😁!

• Agree 1