Does it matter that I lost the plastic film that goes around a loco inside its clamshell packaging?

• RMweb Gold

This is a nearly new Rapido Hunslet 16 inch. Is the loco paint likely to be damaged?

Especially if I have to post it back to Rapido? Don't know how I lost the film. It feels different (more filmy!) than for instance a plastic bag, so not sure if it is OK just to replace it with plastic from a bag (as you read about bubble wrap and some foams reacting with models over time)?

(This seems like a "first world problem" but there you go, I'm prone to being a bit of a worrier.)

Thanks

Hi,

As said above. Make sure the paper is acid free wrapping paper such as this. 

KAPCO 100 White Tissue Paper MG Acid Free Sheets (20 x 30 inches) for Arts & Craft, Decoupage, Packing, Moving, Removal, Packaging Material for Clothes, Shoes & Storing Fragile Items (500mm x 750mm) from Amazon

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Be aware that if you’ve lost the plastic film you’ve reduced the value of the loco to a collector by 50% 😉

What’s that you say?  You tear off and throw away the tissue paper wrap around the box 🫣 <faints>

Happy New Year

Richard

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Use some good quality tissue paper

4 hours ago, cypherman said:

Make sure the paper is acid free wrapping paper such as this. 

KAPCO 100 White Tissue Paper MG Acid Free Sheets (20 x 30 inches) for Arts & Craft, Decoupage, Packing, Moving, Removal, Packaging Material for Clothes, Shoes & Storing Fragile Items (500mm x 750mm) from Amazon

Thanks!

That's good to hear: I already have some acid free tissue paper I bought to wrap up some old Hornby and Triang locos I was given. But never thought about using it to replace the film

What’s that you say? You tear off and throw away the tissue paper wrap around the box 🫣 <faints>

I have bought quite a few second hand wagons with the boxes still wrapped up

• RMweb Premium

Being serious for a moment, the acid-free tissue suggestion for wrapping is a really good one. You can also get archival-quality closed cell foam for padding e.g. https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Conservation-Materials/Other-Materials/Archival-Polyethylene-Foam (other suppliers are available)

Richard

• Informative/Useful 1

It is an oddity that models in unopened packaging are a lot more valuable than ones which have been opened.   In 60 years time the loss of the film may cost you many thousands of yuan  in value.  
Seriously though I find putting models back into their packaging causes more damage than storing them on shelves,  and leaving them on the layout (in a dark near windowless room)  is safer still.
The tissue paper vs film is interesting  but should I return a loco I would  put the loco in its box and that box in a much larger box filled with bubble wrap to give it a sporting chance of arriving safely.