Kidderminster and Stourport Trams - 1/76 Kit Options

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

As the title suggests, I'm wondering are there any kits out there in 4mm/1/76 that would be suitable for the early trams run on the Kidderminster and Stourport Electric Tramway?

I don't really know much about model trams, and I know it's a long shot, but any help is greatly appreciated!

StourportTram.jpg.c9af3af96817d07bd92da149bb8aa3c5.jpg

StourportTramDrawings.jpg.cfef614db3263fb1e9267611c7d8c12d.jpg

StourportTramDD.jpg.9cea4204180e176106d822dacc8377bb.jpg

15---1crop.jpg.dec012b8a3176bb41b4ee9046537399e.jpg

Edited by Fair Oak Junction

Ah, the K&S, a tramway I have been interested in since moving to Stourport in 1980. (Not there anymore btw).

I have looked into this, and the first point to make is that the single decker and trailer you present a drawing of were very shortlived. At least one of the motorcars was given a top deck - with reversed stairs - around 1905, and the others redeployed elsewhere in the Black Country system. A couple of the trailers were put on motor trucks and used as relief cars on summer Sundays.

For post WW1 there was a white metal kit of a Tividale car. A good kit for white metal and I'd actually want a couple more myself but recent trawls on eBay and elsewhere haven't turned any up.

For pre-WW1 there was a BEC kit of a Glasgow car like the No.15 you post a picture of. However if you can get hold of one you really need to slim it down by about 3mm because of the K&S's 3'6" gauge.

I never identified any other kits back in the 1980s and I doubt any later ones appeared.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, that is very handy info!

It is the pre-WW1 era I was looking for, so I'd be best off concentrating on the double deckers by the sound it then. I will have a look around and see what I can find.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

This kit from KW trams like a potentially good match for the car in the 3rd picture I posted, with some very minor modification

006dcompsmall.jpg.c3645b7118e74777e27fadd80b89bd72.jpg

They also do Glasgow standard trams, which could look right with minor modification to the windows

KW038compsmall.jpg.8c2358ffec4c5685c5bbf3e9392731b4.jpg

Edited by Fair Oak Junction

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, whart57 said:

For post WW1 there was a white metal kit of a Tividale car. A good kit for white metal and I'd actually want a couple more myself but recent trawls on eBay and elsewhere haven't turned any up.

PD Marsh appear to do a kit for the later Tividale Trams: https://www.pdmarshmodels.com/products/pw11-5-tividale-tram

Thanks for the PD Marsh link, that is the Tividale kit I have and potentially want more of.

I don't know how you are off for books. I found some on the second hand market. David Voice, who lived in Kidderminster back in the day, has done a couple but one that might not be on your radar is J.S. Webb, Black Country Tramways. It's a two volume affair and volume 2 covers the Kidderminster and Stourport in some detail, including some good descriptions of every known item of rolling stock. I got mine second hand a few years ago.

• Like 1