Slip ring

ianp

I would just order a few. Distance selling rules allow for refunds if you just change your mind. You might lose the original postage, depending on the sellers Ts&Cs.

• Agree 1

I used a 1/4" stereo jack and socket on my DIY turntable both as a pivot and to pass power to the bed and a set of leds that indicated bed phase (DCC polarity).

How I did it shows here ...

IMG_1535.gif

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2024 at 12:15, ianp said:

Does anyone know a shop where I can buy a slip ring - a small device for connecting the electrical supply of a rotating bit of equipment to a fixed one? There are plenty for sale on Amazon and eBay but I want to examine them in the flesh before buying. They look like this: 

https://thepihut.com/products/slip-ring-with-flange-22mm-diameter-6-wires-max-240v-2a

Not knowing where you live makes it difficult to recommend anyone...

On 08/01/2024 at 12:15, ianp said:

...I want to examine them in the flesh before buying...

I have direct personal experience of these devices in industrial application, and while my experience is all of 40 years ago the basis of such things is unchanged: such that I would consider the only examination worth performing is by exposure to the operation they have to perform in. Buy it, test it, claim on warranty if it breaks before rated performance specification.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm an idiot, I've just noticed you're in East Dereham, I'll be there 2nd March visiting the memorial hall..

Since Maplin took out the electronics shop in St Benedicts street in Norwich, then collapsed themselves. I don't think there's a shop in Norfolk where you can see these slip rings. 

I would do as others suggest buy them on line, then I think you have 14 days to return them if unsuitable for just the loss of postage.

16 hours ago, TheQ said:

I'm an idiot, I've just noticed you're in East Dereham, I'll be there 2nd March visiting the memorial hall..

Since Maplin took out the electronics shop in St Benedicts street in Norwich, then collapsed themselves. I don't think there's a shop in Norfolk where you can see these slip rings. 

I would do as others suggest buy them on line, then I think you have 14 days to return them if unsuitable for just the loss of postage.

Dereham? I live in London though I like Norfolk (and Suffolk) very much.

I've used both 4 way and 6 way sliprings from China/Ebay and they are fine within their limitations.  I doubt their much use for high speed work, but slow speed work they seem fine. Also, being realistic, they're probably the only easy viable option.

I have a few radio control models with these things built into them.