Model Signal Parts: Help Required To Identify Items Please

• RMweb Premium

Hope this is a suitable forum for this topic, but please let me know if not.

I've come into the possession of several part-used brass etchings (7mm scale), but with no 'paperwork' to identify the individual parts in the various frets. I'm hoping that the knowledgeable folk on RMWeb can help.

Attached is a photo of most of the frets, some from MSE, some from D&S Models and one from Sprat & Winkle. Whilst I can identify the most obvious parts such as signal arms, spectacle plates, cranks and balance levers, there are some odd bits I can't quite fathom. Some items I'm guessing may be brackets, but I'm not certain. Can anyone help to identify the parts please, or can point me in the direction of where I can find such info?

Many thanks in advance for help/advice.

Signalparts.jpg.ccaa99333ed3574a11d116a03034bc53.jpg

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, csvt2004 said:

The Wizard models web site has pictures of a lot of different frets. It might be worth having a look there first.

Hi @csvt2004,  yes I've looked at the Wizard site, but the pictures don't really help in identifying the individual parts. But thanks anyway for the suggestion. 

The ex D&S ones are for slotted signals, there are photos on Wizard but perhaps not easiest to find as he changed the ref nos try S03/4. Unlike some other frets I don't think there are any downloadable instructions. I think I might have some for 4mm somewhere but don't hold your breathe.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

The ex D&S ones are for slotted signals, there are photos on Wizard but perhaps not easiest to find as he changed the ref nos try S03/4. Unlike some other frets I don't think there are any downloadable instructions. I think I might have some for 4mm somewhere but don't hold your breathe.

Many thanks Steve, much appreciated. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

Looks like the top left and top right in your photo are the same fret, which is from the original MSE (Derek Mundy) range.  The 1987 product list has got a picture of this etch which is S003 and described as "McKenzie & Holland LQ", the description says "Pre-group parts for 23 signals including Slotted and Somersault - GNR, GCR, GER, NER, HR, NSR, Cam R, RR, TVR".

The bits that remain on the LH one are mainly the brackets for somersault signal arms, and the RH one includes those and the somersault signal arms (those with the two holes in the middle) and spectacles (incorporating crank arm for the somersault arm pull rod), as well as other LQ signal arms and spectacles.

The middle etch in your picture is a D&S Post Fittings set, and the small scrap below that looks like part of the MSE S0012 "Westinghouse UQ", with the remaining bits on it being balance weight arm pivot bearings (SR type?).

• Like 1

Top middle and large middle fret - balance weights /arms and brackets for the lead-off crank at the bottom of the post. 

Middle right fret - point cranks and signal wire pulleys. Wonky 'M' shaped thing is a point rodding compensator, much simplified. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, iands said:

Many thanks Steve, much appreciated. 

Instructions for slotted signals -On checking, I relied on the chapter by Mick Nicholson in the NERA book on the matter for guidance, though I did deviate slightly.

Top left and top right are the same fret, as are top middle and the similarly sized one directly below it, and indeed left middle and the very bottom one. Hadn't spotted that on my phone !

I'm intrigued as to what the forked things are in the centre fret btw.

Edited by Wheatley
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Instructions for slotted signals -On checking, I relied on the chapter by Mick Nicholson in the NERA book on the matter for guidance, though I did deviate slightly.

Thanks Steve. Yes, I have a copy of Mick's book. I've come to the same conclusion that a degree of 'deviation' is required. But hey, that's what makes railway modelling fun! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I'm intrigued as to what the forked things are in the centre fret btw.

Thanks @Wheatley, you and me both! 

43 minutes ago, iands said:

Thanks @Wheatley, you and me both! 

Original pattern of weight bar bracket used mainly on UQ tubular signals and LSWR lattice posts. There is a better alternative on the latest etch for the UQ signal arms. I don't think the pattern in the photo is on any current etch.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, iands said:

Thanks Steve. Yes, I have a copy of Mick's book. I've come to the same conclusion that a degree of 'deviation' is required. But hey, that's what makes railway modelling fun! 

Yes, I have both books, the main difference is that there is a photo of an entire D&S fret in the NERA mightly tome.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Wonky 'M' shaped thing is a point rodding compensator, much simplified. 

It’s not a wonky M it’s a wonky W.

Clearly, I stand on the opposite side of the rodding run to you.

:-)

Paul.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2