Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Playing around with Track planning software

Starting playing around a bit with a software called XtrackCad and I made this 6x4 layout. I know this is probably not a very good track plan and it is 6x4 but I am not going to use it, I was just playing around with XtrackCad and added things I would want on a layout, such as a turntable.

Screenshotfrom2024-01-1214-47-53.png.87185c46448f3a440e8c464fe5abdba8.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

And...

?

I plan on start planning more professional layouts as I get the hang of the software, I thought I start getting the hang of it by planning train set layouts. I want to see what can be done in the awkward 6x4 table layout that everyone starts with and what every family probably uses. What I attempted with this layout is to fit a turntable to add some Operational interest, those sidings next to the turntable are for storing wagons and that siding on the Southeast corner is meant for a good shed, this layout is centered around light goods operation and with small to medium sized locomotives. Not really any prototype but fun if you like to watch goods trains passing and locomotives on turntables.

Edited by Trainnoob

• RMweb Premium

Hi Noob, I'm one of the comparatively few people on here who uses XTrackCad in preference to AnyRail.  It can do all sorts of amazing stuff, but finding out what's possible and how to do it is quite a challenge.  Have you found the on-line manual and tutorials that hang off the installation screens?  You've done well to post a layout image, that beats a lot of people, and getting a turntable just the way you want it isn't that easy either ....

Cheers, Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chimer said:

Hi Noob, I'm one of the comparatively few people on here who uses XTrackCad in preference to AnyRail.  It can do all sorts of amazing stuff, but finding out what's possible and how to do it is quite a challenge.  Have you found the on-line manual and tutorials that hang off the installation screens?  You've done well to post a layout image, that beats a lot of people, and getting a turntable just the way you want it isn't that easy either ....

Cheers, Chris

I looked at the basic tutorial about track laying on there website but I'm mostly just learning as I go along.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Trainnoob said:

I looked at the basic tutorial about track laying on there website but I'm mostly just learning as I go along.

I’m one of the xtrack cad users on here too.  I did it that way too - you soon develop ways to do certain things.  Then you find out that there was an easier way!

It suits me for what I want to do, which is why I like it.

Paul.

2 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

I’m one of the xtrack cad users on here too.  I did it that way too - you soon develop ways to do certain things.  Then you find out that there was an easier way!

It suits me for what I want to do, which is why I like it.

Paul.

I use it because its the only one that works on Linux.

Edited by Trainnoob
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Bear in mind that its the shorter dimension that usually determines what you can do; if you think about yout 6x4, if it was 8x4 mostly you would have longer straights along the long side. Later the long side takes over as the important one, when the dimensions get a bit bigger.

• Agree 1

I've been using XTrkCad from before it was open sourced, when it was still paid. The learning curve is a little steeper than other CAD software but it's worth making the effort. I find it it a lot more flexible and you can do a lot with it.

What I'd suggest doing next is replacing all the set track pieces with flex track to get the hang of how that is done. (When you've got the hang of that you can even add transition curves!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

In V5 flextrack is automatically transition curves and if you set Easement to "Cornu" then Joins are as well.   If you set that and then take out the last curve section on each curve and replace with a Join, you'll get a result you can adjust.  By adjusting the end points along the fixed and curved ends, the program(me) will fill in the gap with a dynamic transition curve rather than fixed radius or fixed transition.  

Hopefully the improvements in UI highlighting in V5 have made the learning curve just a little easier. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/01/2024 at 13:01, Trainnoob said:

Starting playing around a bit with a software called XtrackCad and I made this 6x4 layout. I know this is probably not a very good track plan and it is 6x4 but I am not going to use it, I was just playing around with XtrackCad and added things I would want on a layout, such as a turntable.

Screenshotfrom2024-01-1214-47-53.png.87185c46448f3a440e8c464fe5abdba8.png

I have my  doubts whether this plan can be built.   The tracks are too close to the edge for sensible operation especially at the top and left hand end.  It sort of needs a siding deleted and the whole shoved up and sideways.  All these software programs have uses for checking curves and point work fit the available space,  but that is the second phase after imagineering the plan in your mind and possibly on a note pad, table cloth , back of your hand, in a beach what ever to get a broad impression.    Final stage track laying will again vary from the software as you shift tracks to get the best "Look"

Screenshot (742).png