German or Austrian stations with buildings on bridge spanning track

64F

I'm looking for examples of stations where the building spans the track to provide inspiration for a layout project.  The intention is a small town near the Austrian/German border, and for various reasons the building needs to span the tracks which is not a particularly common arrangement.  Unfortunately the only examples of this I can think of from my limited travels are  either major stations like Hamburg Hbf or urban S-bahn stops, so not really what I'm looking for.  If anyone is able suggest a more modest and rural example I'd be grateful.

• RMweb Premium

As you say, rare indeed. I do not recall any from my time living in Munich, except some modern underground S-Bahn stations with facilities on the surface. Not too easy to model.

• Thanks 1

The only bridge-located station buildings which I know in Germany are all on the S-Bahn in Berlin and Hamburg. In all of my travels in Germany or Austria I have never encountered a rural or small-town station in that configuration. In contrast I can think of several with the station buildings up against a reinforced embankment with a pedestrian tunnel to the platforms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Also there are stations in cities which have platforms on a viaduct or overbridge and minimal station buildings below (eg Köln Süd), the reverse of what you are looking for. Even given the alpine terrain, I think it is true to say that there was sufficient space available around settlements in the area you are interested in to allow easier, more future-proof sites to be chosen for railway facilities. That meant that a conventional layout was possible with the main administration and ticket office building on one side and close to the centre of the plaform length. It does not match your criteria, but for its unusual situation between two tunnel portals Überlingen on the Bodensee is one to take a look at, though on account of its siting it's not got much in the way of 'operational interest'. Note, not the nearby Überlingen Therme which is much more conventional and much closer to the lake. Freiburg im Breisgau has a road running on a big bow girder bridge across the south end of the platforms; that now has trams stops on it and access stairs and escalators leading down to the platforms so perhaps that could be a suitable tactic? Only thing missing is the feature that you are specifically looking for, a big building over the tracks ...

• Thanks 1

You might want to have at a look at Hamburg-Harburg. It might not exactly meet your requirements but the main entrance hall and ticketing areas are all at street level and operational platforms are accessed via staircases/lift. The covered bridge reaches the centre platforms and another large building is constructed there before the covered bridge extends further over the rest of the platforms.

Harburg is the last stop before Hamburg main station. It is itself a 'main' station connection as services to Bremen and Cuxhaven branch off from there. The station is serviced by high speed ICE services to and from Hamburg, Inter-City and regional services and S-Bahn. Harburg also sits directly before the Hamburg port and many if not all, container and bulk train freight services run through the station off a direct branch line to the port.

If you google 'Harburg Bahnhof' the results will show up an 'images' section. An overhead of the station is shown here.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all who replied.  I think the message is clear that outwith urban settings the type of station layout I was hoping for is at best vanishingly rare, so it would be difficult for a model using such a layout  to capture the character of a typical rural station.  Back to the drawing board I think.

• Friendly/supportive 1