Configuring Yamorc YD6016LN sensor

ITG

• RMweb Gold

Hi, scratching my head on this. I have a new Yamorc YD6016LN detection sensor (for use with iTrain annd Z21) and I need to configure the numbering for the feedbacks. There are various guidance videos showing how this can be done with a USB link to a laptop. But the videos I’ve seen all start with the graphic of the unit displayed on the screen. I cannot find what to do to get to that position.

I have the Yamorc unit connected to my laptop by USB lead, the laptop can see it as a connected device, the green light on the unit is flashing, but how do I actually get the graphic on the screen? I’ve downloaded what I assume is the setup.exe, which installs, but then what?

any help appreciated.

thanks

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Iain, but I'm clealry not in the right place yet. This is the link I found on DCCTrainAutomation website:

Windows Driver: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/CDM212364_Setup.zip

which then gives me  set up.exe  file CDM212364 but I cannot find any programme files.

Clicking on the demo on DCCTA website just shows the following (see photo) but if that is a route in, the 'save changes' button is greyed out.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Ian

image.png.2831961b2a81b1b73a984dd15c84266f.png

• RMweb Gold

Ah, cracked it. I had downloaded the wrong link. Just need to test it, when I’ve got to wiring that part of layout.

thanks

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

I don’t know how many YaMoRC modules that you are planning on putting under your layout, but if it’s more than one here are a few issues that I have had with mine, mainly because of shortcomings in the manufacturer’s documentation, that you and others might need to be aware of.

1. If mixing YD6016LN-CS modules and (slightly cheaper) YD6016S88-CS modules there is a 3 metre limit on the maximum combined cable length between a YD6016LN-CS module and any YD6016S88-CS modules daisy chained off it. Exceeding this limit can result in random loss of addresses in some or all of your sensor modules.

2. If chaining a number of modules, sensor addresses must be sequential, I.e first LN module (1-16), second LN module or first S88 module (17-32) and so on.

3. After using the USB link to configure a module on you PC, remove the cable from the module’s socket, rather than leaving it there for a possible future use.  I have experienced random loss of addressing or random loss of sensors until I learned not to leave that USB cable dangling.

4. I now have six LN modules and two S88 modules under my layout (after starting with two of the former and five of the latter) and occasionally (actually too often) on powering up the layout, one or two of the LN modules do not show a red light (indicative of power draw on one or more sensor) even though the relevant tracks have power and there are locos standing on them.  When this happens, neither my Z21 nor iTrain see any occupancy on the feedbacks mapped to those blocks.  What is really mystifying is that feedbacks from all the other modules in the chain still register correctly on Z21 and iTrain.  Pulling and reinserting the input RJ45 cable on the affected LN modules usually brings them back to full working order.

5. Even after taking all of the above into account, I still occasionally experience the no red light issue during a running session and I only realise that it’s happened when a train does not stop where it is supposed to or iTrain loses sight of it and logs an error.

Good luck!

Mick

32 minutes ago, Mick Rogers said:

2. If chaining a number of modules, sensor addresses must be sequential, I.e first LN module (1-16), second LN module or first S88 module (17-32) and so on.

This is not correct for the YD6016 modules and firmware because you can number any feedback with any number. What you describe was correct for DR4088 modules.

32 minutes ago, Mick Rogers said:

3. After using the USB link to configure a module on you PC, remove the cable from the module’s socket, rather than leaving it there for a possible future use.  I have experienced random loss of addressing or random loss of sensors until I learned not to leave that USB cable dangling.

You should always use an opto-isolator on the USB when connected to YaMoRC or Digikeis modules when the layout is live - especially when you connect to the command station via USB also. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Rogers said:

Hi Ian,

I don’t know how many YaMoRC modules that you are planning on putting under your layout, but if it’s more than one here are a few issues that I have had with mine, mainly because of shortcomings in the manufacturer’s documentation, that you and others might need to be aware of.

1. If mixing YD6016LN-CS modules and (slightly cheaper) YD6016S88-CS modules there is a 3 metre limit on the maximum combined cable length between a YD6016LN-CS module and any YD6016S88-CS modules daisy chained off it. Exceeding this limit can result in random loss of addresses in some or all of your sensor modules.

4. I now have six LN modules and two S88 modules under my layout (after starting with two of the former and five of the latter) and occasionally (actually too often) on powering up the layout, one or two of the LN modules do not show a red light (indicative of power draw on one or more sensor) even though the relevant tracks have power and there are locos standing on them.  When this happens, neither my Z21 nor iTrain see any occupancy on the feedbacks mapped to those blocks.  What is really mystifying is that feedbacks from all the other modules in the chain still register correctly on Z21 and iTrain.  Pulling and reinserting the input RJ45 cable on the affected LN modules usually brings them back to full working order.

5. Even after taking all of the above into account, I still occasionally experience the no red light issue during a running session and I only realise that it’s happened when a train does not stop where it is supposed to or iTrain loses sight of it and logs an error.

Good luck!

Mick

Thanks for the tips, Mick.

I have just two Yamorc 6016LN-CS units, as well as 5 (previously in my possession) DIgikejis DR4088 similar units. These 7 units will be daisy chained by the appropriate cable. I’m not using any S88 units. (So that should avoid your point 1)

Because the 4088s needed to be sequentially numbered, I’ve continued that pattern with the 6016’s, so that’s ok for me. (Point 2)

I’ve never left the USB cable in place. (Point 3)

As for points 4 & 5, we’ll see!

Edited by ITG
Spelling correction

21 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

This is not correct for the YD6016 modules and firmware because you can number any feedback with any number. What you describe was correct for DR4088 modules.

You should always use an opto-isolator on the USB when connected to YaMoRC or Digikeis modules when the layout is live - especially when you connect to the command station via USB also. 

Hi Iain,

having experienced the issue described in point 2 of my original message myself, and having reached out to YaMoRC via James Hudson of DCC Train Automation, the advice fed back was to revise my addressing to remove overlaps, I.e. to make addresses sequential along the chain of sensor modules.

To clarify,  I had given my first LN module addresses 1 to 16, the S88 module hanging off it had addresses 65 to 80, the second LN had addresses 17 to 32 and so on, meaning that the addresses from the second LN on were non sequential.  This numbering was due to reluctance on my part to readdress logical sensors on my Z21 and iTrain after rejigging my chain of LN and S88 modules after hitting issue 1in my original message.  In hindsight it was definitely a case of more haste, less speed!

I amended my module chaining and address allocation in accordance with the advice given and that particular issue went away.

Mick

Mick,

Until last week I would have agreed with you (and James). However when I gave that advice to a person last week the designer corrected me with this statement.

"s88 addressing on YD6016LN is/can be on a per input individual base ;) s88 no longer need to be consecutive behind the LN-range. Even the LN range is no longer fixed. Any input can have any address."

As he designs and manufactures the stuff I would accept his statements over James 😉