Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Too drill or not to drill ( chimneys)

Ok so I do N gauge and most views are from above. Some locos have chimneys with holes while some are blocked which is plainly visible.

Would you drill them out to look better or leave them and would it affect resale value?.

I am in too minds what to do.

Thx Roger 

2 hours ago, Wheatley said:

I'd drill them out. But then I've never sold a loco on. 

So would I , but I often sell locos on and I would say  in the ad "Super detailed chimney drilled out."

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rogerdee said:

Would you drill them out to look better or leave them and would it affect resale value?.

Thx Roger 

Roger,

I'd drill be merest 'hint' of a hole at the surface, maybe the same depth as the diameter. That'll give the 'impression' of a hole without being 'destructive' of the model. Just make sure you are centred ...

Ian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Selling a loco on would feel like a betrayal!

Lol ! Like selling a pet ! 

To be honest a hole in the chimney would be the least of the mods affecting any of my locos - renumbered, often repainted, weathered, crew added, different couplings ...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, rogerdee said:

Ok so I do N gauge and most views are from above. Some locos have chimneys with holes while some are blocked which is plainly visible.

Thx Roger 

If your main concern is resale value, then leave the model sealed up in it's box! For some reason collectors prefer mint boxed models and anything done at all, will be considered as butchery.

As for RUNNING them - wash your mouth out!

Actually, it's your model, do exactly as you wish. Rule 1.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Lol ! Like selling a pet ! 

To be honest a hole in the chimney would be the least of the mods affecting any of my locos - renumbered, often repainted, weathered, crew added, different couplings ...

'A loco is not just for Christmas!' ☺️

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have never been inhibited about working RTR models up to the conditions I want, but like Paul have never sold one on; I have, very occasionally, given them away to loving homes.  I'd most certainly drill the chimney holes out, but I'm me not you... 

Even when I was a kid I'd paint the tops of the brass screws in my Triang chimneys black to improve the look.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

Oh, dear - does that mean I've affected the re-sale value of this Hornby Caley Pug?!

Seriously, in my view do whatever you need to do to improve the look of your models. As others have said, mint boxed, unopened, will always attract the best values anyway.

Photo3.jpg.f3567ec2af8edbf0eec3de9c4c6e52a1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4

1 hour ago, robert17649 said:

Depends what it will look like when you have finished.

But the collectoriser mind set dismisses that as irrelevant: even if it is a much superior model, it isn't what came out of the factory, and therefore of greatly diminished value in their view.

Which is grand, a cheaply obtained RTR origin model that has been skillfully worked on is just the ticket for those with a different mind set.

Many years ago one long gone model shop sold dad a steam loco that was missing it's chimney.  Rather than send it back to the supplier they said it works ok and we have some finer detailed replacements so it can be sold with one of these.