Up or Down - Which is better? (adapting a RTR chassis)

iL Dottore

I've decided to go to 3mm modelling (a long story) and as I am starting from scratch I'll adopt the 14.2 mm standard.

I believe that every modeller shoup play to his/her skills - which means I've got buildings, wagons and coaches pretty much sorted.

The stumbling block are the locos, I suppose that - eventually - I'll have to build my own chassis, but in the interim I will scratch build a body and adapt an existing chassis for it.

And there lies the rub: what best to adapt?: a 4mm chassis (reducing wheels etc) a 2mm chassis (and use larger wheels), or perhaps best of all (????) adapt one of the new TT loco chassis.

As my first scratch built loco will be one of the simpler, boxier, GWR pannier tanks, I"m wondering which way to go (or perhaps even make my own lamibated  plasticard chassis and just recucle motor and drive train from a 4mm, TT or N Gauge model.

Thoughts? Comments?

Edited by iL Dottore

From what I have read elsewhere, locos are always going to be an issue in 3mm. I have seen that the 3mm Society do have some stocks locos and other rolling stock. Perhaps a visit to their thread may provide you with answers, particularly those of availability. I did see some photos and my impression was that most of the locos relied on the old Triang TT kit - there didn't seem to be much by way of 'modern' stuff.

If I may boldly ask - why have you not gone for 1:120 (unless you've already got a lot of 3mm TT stock)? The new TT 1:120 seems to have taken off since last year and there's oodles of continental locos that could perhaps be adapted to your needs.

Just my thoughts and good luck in your endeavour,

Philip

• Thanks 1

• iL Dottore changed the title to Up or Down - Which is better? (adapting a RTR chassis)
3 hours ago, Philou said:

From what I have read elsewhere, locos are always going to be an issue in 3mm. I have seen that the 3mm Society do have some stocks locos and other rolling stock. Perhaps a visit to their thread may provide you with answers, particularly those of availability. I did see some photos and my impression was that most of the locos relied on the old Triang TT kit - there didn't seem to be much by way of 'modern' stuff.

If I may boldly ask - why have you not gone for 1:120 (unless you've already got a lot of 3mm TT stock)? The new TT 1:120 seems to have taken off since last year and there's oodles of continental locos that could perhaps be adapted to your needs.

Philip

Thanks for the encouraging comments, Philip. Although I only have two 3mm kits (and little else), there's something about 3mm that appeals to me in a way that TT does not. I guess that it is because, despite many great kits, models and supplies from the 3mm society (I recently joined),  each 3mm layout is truly unique. Unlike with 4mm - where many layouts have a certain sameness about them.

I love building kits and scratch building and the only things that daunt me are (most) steam locos and points.

Still, I'll get there (eventually).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Philou said:

Philip

Modern stuff

https://lincoln-loco.co.uk

plenty of locos to chose to from

Edited by bradfordbuffer

Reading your comments above it sounds very much like the situation I found myself in, like the look and idea of 3mm because building stuff is the fun bit and the individuality of a 3mm layout.

Points.....in 14.2 the British Finescale ones through the society are a dream to build.....very very easy and quick, cannot recommend them enough. I've built a fair amount of track in the past and these are almost like the Airfix kits of pointbuilding, simple go together quickly and pretty fool  proof, 

Chassis for steam era stuff. Not really where I've gone as a 3mm newbie, but I'd have thought a simple 0-6-0 inside motion tank as you suggest wouldn't be 'that hard'.  Not something I've looked at but does the society do an etched chassis of suitable wheelbase and go from there? I've sorta downsized my 4mm ideas to 3mm and managed to get reasonable results in 3mm diesel chassis. I think a drive unit round the commercially available 3mm stuff might be a better starting point rather than hacking a 2mm or 4mm version up. Just my thoughts, again what works best for you is always the right answer!

Look forward to seeing the resultswhichever way you go.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

The 3mm society has just released a simple and cheap chassis jig system in two versions, 12mm and 14.2 mm.   They have a booklet to go with these which explains how to build a simple 0-6-0 inside cylinder chassis with these jigs.     Worth a look.   (The booklet is on the 3mm society website but I don't seem to be able to download it on my elderly iPad.  A problem I often have.)

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1