Remastering my Thai Railway videos from the 2000s

kevsmiththai

The day (Saturday) I took those pictures was the King's birthday, and the run to Ayudthaya and back was apparently a fixture in the calendar. Whether it still is with the new king, I don't know. However the day was also marked in the hall at Hualamphong station by an exhibition by architecture students at a Bangkok university of railway buildings and other infrastructure they had recorded as part of their course. I bought a tee-shirt with a side view of a C56 and a clutch of post cards they had made from their drawings. I also had a long talk with one of their supervisors, having introduced myself by showing her a couple of my Continental Modeller articles. She was in her forties I guess but her father was one of the mechanics on the steam run, having been a driver on the SRT in the steam days.

image.png.940701492830ba3df4f7e2911b057e19.png

• Like 4

Hi Wim

I did, And the RHB 2-8-0 tender dumped behind it. This was 2006 when I came unstuck with one of the EOS cameras when it came down with Sticky Shutter syndrome. Of the shots taken on the EOS 10 I reckon I lost about 50% and of course didn't find out until I got home and started getting the films developed. The other EOS was fine, Thank God.

Putting this stuff on the forum has prompted me to get the half started 1nM  BV brake van out to get it finished.Built using your drawing in CM. I'd also cut out the parts for an LS open wagon but have no idea where they are at the moment

As I'm laid up with a broken ankle at the moment I have plenty of time

Kev

2-4-0T No. 5  Kamphaeng Phet Road, Thailand 2006 edit.jpg

THai Raiways tender ( ex RHB 2-8-0) Kamphaeng Phet Road edit.jpg

• Like 3

So. Bang Sue Junction north of Bangkok

A vast open area with the diesel maintenance depot, carraige sidings, the Hump marshalling yard and interesting ancient rolling stock all over the place

the depot

Bang Sue Diesel depot 2006.jpg

when I took this picture in 2006 I was wearing white linen trousers and Clarkes Goretex shoes. That is not water in between the tracks ! Rather a mixture of Diesel, oil, coolant and god knows what. So this was as far as I went

Edited by kevsmiththai
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The "old station" is for Northern and North Eastern line trains, the "new" station for Southern line trains. Or was then. I don't know how they are handled at the new station.

I see you captured a time when an incoming train left its carriages in the platform while dropping off an engine for the shed. Yours was a Hualamphong bound train, when I saw that happen in 2010 it was bringing an engine up from Bangkok.

One day I was there a massively long train was waiting in the Southern station, heading towards Bangkok. When it eventually moved it turned out to be full of Navy personnel, presumably headed for the navy base at Pattaya.

20 minutes ago, whart57 said:

I see you captured a time when an incoming train left its carriages in the platform while dropping off an engine for the shed. Yours was a Hualamphong bound train, when I saw that happen in 2010 it was bringing an engine up from Bangkok.

Just checked the pics I took, it was actually a completely different loco that took the train onwards from the two that had brought it up from Hualamphong.

• Like 1

I presume that with the new mega-station at Bang Sue that there was a bit of tidying up in the old marshalling yard. Back in 2010 there was some real old tat parked there

BangSue_25.JPG.68b0d1acdfcb955a8eee61da55b78bcd.JPG

• RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2024 at 22:48, kevsmiththai said:

Express railcars were usually Daewoos

Daewoo railcar 2527 heads North through Bang Sue Junction, Thailand May 2005.jpg

And the Brel 158 variants

BRELBuilt Super Sprinter Thai Railways2510 Bang Sue 2009.jpg

more soon

Looks just like a BR 158, even the same livery.

1 hour ago, ColinK said:

Looks just like a BR 158, even the same livery.

The second picture was a BREL 158 (export model). A number of three car sets were sold to Thailand in he 1990s. Regarding livery, I have built a 3mm scale version and the Railmatch paints for Regional Railways are as good a match as anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The hopper wagon I photographed outside Mahachai (on the line from Bangkok Wongwangyai) was a bit different.

Mahachai_38.JPG.6543c967688adc706417310ac8ae0928.JPG

Probably the most modern bit of kit on that bit of the SRT, which as many will know is completely isolated from the rest of the network.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2024 at 11:55, kevsmiththai said:

Hi Wim

I did, And the RHB 2-8-0 tender dumped behind it. This was 2006 when I came unstuck with one of the EOS cameras when it came down with Sticky Shutter syndrome. Of the shots taken on the EOS 10 I reckon I lost about 50% and of course didn't find out until I got home and started getting the films developed. The other EOS was fine, Thank God.

Putting this stuff on the forum has prompted me to get the half started 1nM  BV brake van out to get it finished.Built using your drawing in CM. I'd also cut out the parts for an LS open wagon but have no idea where they are at the moment

As I'm laid up with a broken ankle at the moment I have plenty of time

Kev

2-4-0T No. 5  Kamphaeng Phet Road, Thailand 2006 edit.jpg

A classmate is/was preserved in rather better condition at Bang Sue, as photographed in 1991.  Maeklong Railway no. 7 (Krauss München 5427/1905)._PICT3672.JPG.443e77c48502430387d0d9b0d3cc32e3.JPG

There must be something in the air in Thailand when it comes to cameras.  On that trip Thonburi station and shed was the first point of call, and my Canon AE1 Program took one picture before the shutter stuttered and died.  With Malaysia the next country on the itinerary, it was a long drive to Singapore and a replacement (T90) body bought.

On 20/01/2024 at 18:05, kevsmiththai said:

For me, the holy grail was to find one of the Krupp B-B diesel hydraulics. These were retained for their ability to plough through floodwater when needed ( The Diesel electrics having a tendency to blow up their traction motors if they tried it!) One of these is on my future list of 1nM projects

in 2005, 3118 was sat at the back of the depot

Still there, more or less the same place last August!  As you say, it seems to be kept for wading duties...

_3G5A2678.JPG.64e075bd8d9268dae36b8046e9a3338f.JPG

• Like 1

I wrote an article for Continental Modeller on the Maeklong Railway's Krauss tank engines, together with drawings based on measurements taken in Bangkok. That almost rusted away example in the coach park near Bang Sue provided most measurements for the 2-4-0T while the loco that was then in the Ekkamai Museum of Science was the basis for the 0-4-2T. That loco is now in Paknam I believe.

thachin_4.png.5035d7fd8b906ed4ddf6ad76cd7c99f3.png

And the 2-4-0T

Maeklong_2-4-0T.png.7a192f5ab7770cf923ce98f1e115d687.png

I think five out of the seven survived to their centenary, albeit only just in the case of the Bang Sue car park example. The one by the loco depot fared better as did the one outside the SRT's HQ at Hualamphong. When I submitted the article to CM the editor, Andy Burnham, emailed me back to say that they had a photo in the files of one of the 0-4-2Ts plinthed outside a country club near Pattaya and would I mind if they put it into my piece. I didn't so that meant four of the seven were depicted in that article. I'm not sure if the Pattaya one is still there or what condition it is now in. The one at Ekkamai was in very poor condition the first time I saw it, but since then it has had a bit of tlc. Photos of it on display at Paknam seem to show it in reasonable nick.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The loco at the Siam Country Club, Pattaya is in good condition (photo from last August).  Although it's plinthed by the side of the road (Google Streetview shows it: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@12.9172376,100.9788308,3a,75y,92.02h,78.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svnM06lWafufx0ybumXn0BQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu); it's on the other side of the golf centre to the "mini museum" with two other preserved locos.  I hadn't realised how far away it was when I set off on foot, having left my hired car in the main car park.   Thankfully a local council member saw me walking back and insisted on giving a ride on his motorcycle!

_3G5A2571.JPG.803ef45a180d0d2a6e83bac1b3d3c012.JPG

0-4-2T Krauss (München) 5418/1906.

Edited by EddieB
Add link
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nakhon Ratchasima, otherwise, and formerly, known as Khorat is the capitol of the Nakhon Ratchasima province and the third largest city in Thailand.  It is a junction on the North east line and the gateway to Isan but despite all that always feels rural. 

I drove down from Kohn Kaen a couple of times in 2006 and 2009. But for family duties I would have gone a lot more times

The minute I got out of the Isuzu I knew this place was going to be good

Nakhon Ratchasima station frontage edit.jpg

The station frontage hints at how busy it might be

Mechanical signal cabins

Nakhon Ratchasima signal cabin edit.jpg

an impressive Hanomag 4-6-2 plinthed outside. Number 261 was put in service in 1928

Hanomag 4-6-2 no 261 Nakhon Ratchasima edit.jpg

And a roundhouse doing major renovations on RH and RHN railcars

Nakhon Ratchasima Roundhouse edit.jpg

More soon

Kev

Edited by kevsmiththai
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Davenport Heaven!

Dumpy little 516 shunts Nakhon Ratchasima. Hitachi Crane no 33 with its runner wagons in 2006

Thai Railways Bo-Bo Davenport 516 shnts at Nakhon Ratchasima 2006 (1) red.jpg

Positioning a RHN Railcar

Thai Railways Bo-Bo Davenport 516 shnts at Nakhon Ratchasima 2006 (2) red.jpg

Davenport 520 was shunting the main yard in 2009

Thai Railways Bo-Bo no 520 shunts Nakhon Ratcxasima yard  2009 red.jpg

Another shot of 516. I love the sound of these

Thai railways Davenport Bo-Bo 516 at Nakhon Ratchasima 2006 red.jpg

More soon

Edited by kevsmiththai
  • Like 2