North Skelton ironstone mine

• RMweb Gold

60 years ago today the last ironstone mine in Cleveland closed at North Skelton ending an industry which started the boom in iron and steel making on teesside 

This is an interesting video which ends showing what could possibly be the last train leaving the mine with a Thornaby crew on a 25

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that  - I used to go for summer holidays to farming relatives at Stank House Farm near Brotton which is very close by. I remember as a small child roaming around the farm which also included parts of the old Kilton pit...

One of my "to do" retirement list items is a trip up to continue roaming....

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

Thanks for that  - I used to go for summer holidays to farming relatives at Stank House Farm near Brotton which is very close by. I remember as a small child roaming around the farm which also included parts of the old Kilton pit...

One of my "to do" retirement list items is a trip up to continue roaming....

Chris H

The area isn't so rural now Chris a relief road was built about 20 years ago between Brotton and Kilton I've been left the area since mid 90s and changed massively 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, russ p said:

The area isn't so rural now Chris a relief road was built about 20 years ago between Brotton and Kilton I've been left the area since mid 90s and changed massively 

I shall still make the trip up - possibly this Spring. There's some interesting stuff on line once you"dig in". Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

I shall still make the trip up - possibly this Spring. There's some interesting stuff on line once you"dig in". Thanks again.

There is a museum devoted to the mining industry in Skinningrove. Used to be tom Leonard mining museum but has changed its name sadly 

Tom lived in the house out the back of us when I was a kid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi @russ p

Thanks for posting this. You've prompted some memories mate.

I bought my very first house in Cliffe St. Brotton round about 1974. A two up two down pit cottage for about 2k (them  was the days)☺️

The local pub was the Green Tree (Walt and Rene) or just down the bank was the ''Blood Tub'' (Maurice and Domingo) 

On sunny summer sundays me and the then missus would wander the old track beds of the pit lines up to Kilton, Lingdale,etc.  in the hope of finding any long forgotten artifacts.

Some of the locals in the Green Tree were ex miners and I recall playing dominoes with a few of them. I soon learned not to play them for money!!

Oh I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure you could get 4 pints of Camerons for just under a quid in the Green Tree,!

Who knows but we may have met in the long distant past?

Thanks again , Regards, Rich

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

Hi @russ p

Thanks for posting this. You've prompted some memories mate.

I bought my very first house in Cliffe St. Brotton round about 1974. A two up two down pit cottage for about 2k (them  was the days)☺️

The local pub was the Green Tree (Walt and Rene) or just down the bank was the ''Blood Tub'' (Maurice and Domingo) 

On sunny summer sundays me and the then missus would wander the old track beds of the pit lines up to Kilton, Lingdale,etc.  in the hope of finding any long forgotten artifacts.

Some of the locals in the Green Tree were ex miners and I recall playing dominoes with a few of them. I soon learned not to play them for money!!

Oh I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure you could get 4 pints of Camerons for just under a quid in the Green Tree,!

Who knows but we may have met in the long distant past?

Thanks again , Regards, Rich

I lived in Guisborough,  I worked at Thornaby from 83 to 97 regularly working trains through Brotton 

I still work into Tees dock quite often 

The museum is now land of iron. Just been on look north on an item about 60 years since closure 

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, russ p said:

The museum is now land of iron. Just been on look north on an item about 60 years since closure 

Yes I've just been watching it on telly. Used to go there when the lads were young. Nice article.

One of my best mates was the late Terry Wood. Terry was a signalman at Marske Longbeck and also a Union Rep. I'd occassionally meet up for a beer or two with Terry and couple of the railway men. One Thornaby driver (also deceased) that I recall was Dave AKA ''Farouk'' Quite a character he was. I can recall a couple of his tales but maybe best not on a public forum.!! 

Cheers Rich.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TinTracks said:

Yes I've just been watching it on telly. Used to go there when the lads were young. Nice article.

One of my best mates was the late Terry Wood. Terry was a signalman at Marske Longbeck and also a Union Rep. I'd occassionally meet up for a beer or two with Terry and couple of the railway men. One Thornaby driver (also deceased) that I recall was Dave AKA ''Farouk'' Quite a character he was. I can recall a couple of his tales but maybe best not on a public forum.!! 

Cheers Rich.

Ah bless knew them well. Farouk was Bob Gibson great bloke,  he had a mate Dave Atkinson who is still a signalman . Real shock when Terry went, he asked another signalman where I lived as great was going to have a holiday in Sheringham.  As I lived there at the time we were going to have a beer but unfortunately it wasn't to be. Great bloke and true railwayman 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Ah bless knew them well.

Small world as they say. And as you say a great bloke and a true friend. When he passed away I bought a copy of Diesels in the North East as Terry is pictured handing over a token at Crag Hall box in the days when he had hair down his back and looked to be twenty stones.

I knew Terry's mother, a lovely lady called Betty, long before I met Terry. As a young bloke I was, for a while, a production line manager at the old John Collier Tailoring factory in the Boro. Betty was on quality control. Talking in the Ship at Saltburn one evening Terry announces ''Oi you know my mam''! I got to know the family well over the years and when Terry's dad passed away I was given his whistle. To this day it's one of my treasured possessions.

I believe his dad had been an LNER (1930s/40s) guard and maybe worked as Station Master at Mbro. My memory is a little hazy .  

Daft story but Terry had a HD 3 rail Sir Nigel Gresley set, boxed and nearly minty. I seem to remmber it was a very early one with the valences and possibly a clockwork body on a leccy chassis. The set was in beautiful condition and Terry, knowing that I'm an old 3 railer would take great pleasure in winding me up by saying '' Do you know I've a mint boxed Dublo A4 set?'' at every opportunity ☺️ 

I miss him so very much and I'm afraid that I've lost touch with his lovely wife Maureen apart from exchanging Christmas cards.

I've mixed the first names up between Bob ''Farouk'' and Dave but would Dave be ''Dave the Boy''? I Think he started as a book lad at Cargo Fleet, drives huge motor bikes. I've totally lost touch sinve Terry's funeral but if you do see Dave please tell him that Sol ( my nickname) sends his best wishes.

Cheers Rich. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Small world as they say. And as you say a great bloke and a true friend. When he passed away I bought a copy of Diesels in the North East as Terry is pictured handing over a token at Crag Hall box in the days when he had hair down his back and looked to be twenty stones.

I knew Terry's mother, a lovely lady called Betty, long before I met Terry. As a young bloke I was, for a while, a production line manager at the old John Collier Tailoring factory in the Boro. Betty was on quality control. Talking in the Ship at Saltburn one evening Terry announces ''Oi you know my mam''! I got to know the family well over the years and when Terry's dad passed away I was given his whistle. To this day it's one of my treasured possessions.

I believe his dad had been an LNER (1930s/40s) guard and maybe worked as Station Master at Mbro. My memory is a little hazy .  

Daft story but Terry had a HD 3 rail Sir Nigel Gresley set, boxed and nearly minty. I seem to remmber it was a very early one with the valences and possibly a clockwork body on a leccy chassis. The set was in beautiful condition and Terry, knowing that I'm an old 3 railer would take great pleasure in winding me up by saying '' Do you know I've a mint boxed Dublo A4 set?'' at every opportunity ☺️ 

I miss him so very much and I'm afraid that I've lost touch with his lovely wife Maureen apart from exchanging Christmas cards.

I've mixed the first names up between Bob ''Farouk'' and Dave but would Dave be ''Dave the Boy''? I Think he started as a book lad at Cargo Fleet, drives huge motor bikes. I've totally lost touch sinve Terry's funeral but if you do see Dave please tell him that Sol ( my nickname) sends his best wishes.

Cheers Rich. 

Morning Rich

It's a very small world.  I think Terry was more interested in the railway than he used to let on

There is supposed to be a reunion this year, been a while since there was one but Dave used to go so hopefully if we have one he will be there so I will pass on your regards 

Cheers Russ 

• Thanks 1