RMweb

Dual Braked Mk1 Coaches

I'm converting a Mainline buffet coach and Bachmann TSO to dual brake so that they can run with some mark 2As. Where are the reservoir and brake cylinders located? Would it be in the same place as on the Mk2a ?

Who sells the appropriate parts?

Thanks

Richard

IIRC the cylinder (there is only one I think) is roughly in the centre of the coach, somewhere in the vincinity of the underframe trusses (hung off it?). And to be honest, you can quite easily fabricate the bits as its only a reservoir, a distributer and a cylinder.

If noone else produces any in the next day or so I will track down a dual braked Mk1 for you and take some photos.

• RMweb Gold

1st photo shows one of the brake cylinders at the non-dynamo end of a Mark 1 bullion van. Because the air brake cylinders operate the same rigging as the vacuum cylinders, there are 2, one on each bogie. The air receiver can also be seen, it's the thing with No 107 written on it

post-7024-127896308005_thumb.jpg

2nd photo shows the distributor on the opposite side and end of the bullion van. (It's the aluminium thing)

post-7024-127896327006_thumb.jpg

51L do air brake components, but I believe they are for wagons, not coaches - so who's going to notice at OO gauge?

Thanks guys. I can see that fitting the air receiver on the RBR buffet coach will be difficult with all of the other boxes that are there already. Is that pipe under the sole bar part of the air brake system? Or it is something else?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys. I can see that fitting the air receiver on the RBR buffet coach will be difficult with all of the other boxes that are there already. Is that pipe under the sole bar part of the air brake system? Or it is something else?

I don't think the pipe is anything to do with the air brake system. This particular coach had been converted to a mobile disco, and I think that may have been something to do with that.

If the air receiver is behind lots of gas bottle boxes, then why bother (or is that sacrilegious on this forum?) It'll be even difficult to see the brake cylinders.

Archived