Stockton Haulage depot - Stranraer

johna

Folks

On page 45 of "Modelling the British Rail Era" published by Santona there is a photo of Stockton Haulage depot - Stranraer. I purpose to build a small layout based on the depot. As usual I am restricted to the size of layout I can build. In this case 5' x 15".

By using Google Earth I think I have found the site with the track still in plac3 but the shed is long gone. Would anyone have photos of the shed etc from the 1980's when it was still being operated by Speedlink? Looking at the map again I think the shed will be to the front of the layout and I could have the mainline running to the harbour as a backdrop. This will be an inglenook layout allowing me to build suitable wagons over the next few months. Don't expect is see a finished layout for sometime as I can only do modelling for a few hours a week.

Once the construction of the layout has started I will start a "blog"

Thanks

johna

Folks

On page 45 of "Modelling the British Rail Era" published by Santona there is a photo of Stockton Haulage depot - Stranraer. I purpose to build a small layout based on the depot. As usual I am restricted to the size of layout I can build. In this case 5' x 15".

By using Google Earth I think I have found the site with the track still in plac3 but the shed is long gone. Would anyone have photos of the shed etc from the 1980's when it was still being operated by Speedlink? Looking at the map again I think the shed will be to the front of the layout and I could have the mainline running to the harbour as a backdrop. This will be an inglenook layout allowing me to build suitable wagons over the next few months. Don't expect is see a finished layout for sometime as I can only do modelling for a few hours a week.

Once the construction of the layout has started I will start a "blog"

Thanks

johna

There are some photos in one of the 'Freight only' series by Paul Shannon and Michael Rhodes- probably in the volume dedicated to Wales and Scotland. It was quite a busy place in its heyday, with one (sometimes two) fairly heavily-laden freights every day, which originated on Teesside. Apart from steel, there were things like containerised chemicals and various things loaded in vans. Stranraer also received vehicle traffic from Goole, and perhaps elsewhere, though I believe this was dealt with on the quayside. There was also seasonal lime traffic, received at the old Stranraer Town station.

Online, Ernie is your man:

http://rniescottishailwayrchive.fotopic.net/p18874389.html

http://rniescottishailwayrchive.fotopic.net/p32606297.html

and I think there's some on Railbrit:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/

for you to find.

There are some photos in one of the 'Freight only' series by Paul Shannon and Michael Rhodes- probably in the volume dedicated to Wales and Scotland. It was quite a busy place in its heyday, with one (sometimes two) fairly heavily-laden freights every day, which originated on Teesside. Apart from steel, there were things like containerised chemicals and various things loaded in vans. Stranraer also received vehicle traffic from Goole, and perhaps elsewhere, though I believe this was dealt with on the quayside. There was also seasonal lime traffic, received at the old Stranraer Town station.

Heavily laden steel trains is the word, the tree-lined Glendoune bank defeated many a 37-hauled southbound steel in damp weather. (That would make a good excuse for modelling shorter trains)

Stranraer still held much interest in the 80s, clearly evident from the like of Ernie's gallery.

Guest stuartp

I visted Stranraer around 1984 and a couple of years later, and I have to confess I never even noticed the Stockton Haulage shed ! In my defence I was more interested in trying to get pics of the loco shed and station buildings, it was a flying visit, and my dad was convinced hundreds of fearsome Poliss were about to leap out of the undergrowth and arrest us both for trespass.

I took a couple of pics of what was in the old goods yard, some Cartic-type things loaded with (I think) Renaults and a 26. I'll scan them if they'd be any use (and if I can find them !).

Thanks for the links guys. I need to start thinking about a track plan. The photo’s confirm that the shed was served by a single point. I need three to make the layout interesting.

John

Guest stuartp

Rubbish, dark, badly composed, out of focus pics attached for what they're worth. They might set the scene if nothing else:

post-270-127900794144_thumb.jpg

1984 I think, Town goods yard with the former PPR erecting shop in the background. No Renaults but there's Peugouts, Citroens and a couple of BL Maestros on there.

post-270-127900844691_thumb.jpg

Same spot, a couple of years later, 'Joint' and 'Girvan' sheds to the right. I think the two agricultural trailers had been unloaded straight onto the track.

post-270-127900850037_thumb.jpg

Harbour, 1984, with what looks like an Astra poking out.

post-270-127900854501_thumb.jpg

Later visit, propelling car wagons up to the (by now facelifted) pier

The first visit was definitely 1984/5, the second was somewhere around 1987-9. The 26 must have been on someone eles photo - just shows you should never trust memory !

Rubbish, dark, badly composed, out of focus pics attached for what they're worth. They might set the scene if nothing else:

post-270-127900794144_thumb.jpg

1984 I think, Town goods yard with the former PPR erecting shop in the background. No Renaults but there's Peugouts, Citroens and a couple of BL Maestros on there.

post-270-127900844691_thumb.jpg

Same spot, a couple of years later, 'Joint' and 'Girvan' sheds to the right. I think the two agricultural trailers had been unloaded straight onto the track.

post-270-127900850037_thumb.jpg

Harbour, 1984, with what looks like an Astra poking out.

post-270-127900854501_thumb.jpg

Later visit, propelling car wagons up to the (by now facelifted) pier

The first visit was definitely 1984/5, the second was somewhere around 1987-9. The 26 must have been on someone eles photo - just shows you should never trust memory !

The Procar 80s in the last photo would have had Renaults (and sometimes Volvos) from Goole; the other car-carriers (Autics) carried Peugeots and Citroens from Sheerness- not sure how the Maestros got on there. During the period when you were taking these photos, Stuart, we were living close to the the Newcastle- Carlisle line; a carefully timed walk to the Boathouse at Wylam at this time of year, via the path between the railway and the Tyne, would produce at least one or two 'Speedlinks' to or from Ayr or Stranraer.

Jamie

Many thanks for the link to some great photos. They will help me designing a track plan for the new layout. I remember the works in the 1970/80 period. Full of activity. I wonder what its like now?

johna

Archived