help in fitting a decoder roundhouse model 40

kevo

hi can any one  offer some advice  for fitting  a decoder  to a roundhouse  model 40  critter . it said on the box dcc ready and from pics i had seen it should have a circuit board with a 8 pin plug  . i have limited know how.  but can see only a red and black  wires  see pic inc, screwed to the block on top and a split frame chassis  , ide like to have a go at fitting a decoder my self  so any pointers tips etc would be most wellcome  . and recomendations  on what decoders  and a stay alive  would fit  . thank you 

20240123_155104.jpg

20240123_174459.jpg

20240123_174334.jpg

But some evidence of something previously fixed to the top of the chassis block.... which would have been the lighting and decoder plug circuit, perhaps removed by a previous owner ?  (Perhaps someone who wanted "DC" and didn't trust the electrickery of the circuit board).  

See this article with picture of chassis
https://www.trains.com/mrr/news-reviews/reviews/staff-reviews/roundhouse-trains-emd-model-40-is-an-ho-scale-workhorse/

That article suggests the lights were on wires from the missing printed circuit board. 

How to DCC-it ?    Any reasonable quality decoder, and hard-wire it.  If wanting lights, you'll have to fit those yourself.   

- Nigel

Thanks for the replys  . yes it is a bit baffel ing  to where the circut board has gone  every photo  i have come across so far shows it   with the 8 pin plug  . any way  i will  have a try at hard wire ing a decoder in  been watch ing  u tube  vids on split frames  so long as i isolate   the motor and take my time i just may be able to sort it   ime not really worried about the  lights 2 make thigs easyer . 

2 hours ago, kevo said:

Thanks for the replys  . yes it is a bit baffel ing  to where the circut board has gone  every photo  i have come across so far shows it   with the 8 pin plug  . any way  i will  have a try at hard wire ing a decoder in  been watch ing  u tube  vids on split frames  so long as i isolate   the motor and take my time i just may be able to sort it   ime not really worried about the  lights 2 make thigs easyer . 

It looks like a "doddle" as these things go   -  the red and black wires on your photo clearly connect the chassis (pickups) to the motor.   So, unsolder those wires from their screw tags,   if you can, also unsolder the red+black from the motor because that will keep wiring colours consistent.   

Then its the simple: 

- decoder red+black to the solder tags on the chassis (pickups) 

- decoder orange+grey to the motor, ideally all the way to the motor, but if you have to joint onto the existing red+black, use thin heatshrink to slide over the joint when done.   

• Agree 1

Just to add, I had two of these, yours has had the circuit board, for DCC and lights removed, due to the weight and using live frogs the running was very good, I had no need for stay alive.  

Thanks BE   thats handy to know . and mine did run really just on DC  as  well to  .i was very inpressed ,  but i still think i would like to fit a decoder 

Not  very much progress on the decoder fit  infact  its turned in to a right head ache ,☹️. this is my 1 st time hard wire ing at  split frame  i have followed  as much as i can from whatch ing  u tube and advice from here  i have isolated the motor  from the frames  and wired the 4 wires  orange  and grey to the motor red and black  for pick ups but no matter how i try when placed on the track buzz ing and shorting takes place . what i am getting wrong beats me any help please  before i bin the flipping thing 😖 i have taken it apart  and re tried so many times now i could do with my eyes closed 😀 one silly mistake you can see from the 1 st  two pics i wired motor leads for pic ups .  simple i thought  just re wire  the correct  way problem solved . BUT FAR FROM IT  A RRRRRRR ! SORRY🙄

20240130_204540.jpg

20240130_204551.jpg

20240131_203859.jpg

Unfortunately, connecting the decoder outputs (orange and grey) to the track power can destroy a decoder.   When you did that, did you put the loco onto a full power track ?   If so, suspect "destroyed decoder".   

If you only put it on a "programming track" which is normally off, except for programming bursts, then it should have survived.

When you isolate the motor from the chassis/frames you don't (normaly) need to isolate the body of the motor, just the electrical connection terminals.  Neither of the electrical terminals are normally in contact with the body of the motor.  One exception is ringfield motors, as were quite common in older Hornby models, which often have the left hand motor terminal connected to the metal body of the motor.  This must be remedied before a decoder is wired in.

Hi thanks for the replys  no it was only a few seconds  on my test track  and no power at all was aplied  . so it was quickly  taken off . i guess my only option  is to take it all apart  and try again  on  one side of the frame  only  seems to have a plastic backing  plate  and  the other side  dus not  and the  two clamps that surport the worm drime sharfts r plastic  as well . i do have limited know how with electronics but have hard wired non split frames with no problems  but this has kicked my confidence  a bit . its a daft ? to ask but would the motor conections be of fault  like the orange and grey wrong way round or dus that not make a differance  . 

33 minutes ago, smokebox said:

When you isolate the motor from the chassis/frames you don't (normaly) need to isolate the body of the motor, just the electrical connection terminals.  Neither of the electrical terminals are normally in contact with the body of the motor.  One exception is ringfield motors, as were quite common in older Hornby models, which often have the left hand motor terminal connected to the metal body of the motor.  This must be remedied before a decoder is wired in.

Agreed,  and I doubt anything was needed to be done with this model.    Originally it was supplied with a decoder socket,  a previous owner took that out and connected the motor wires direct to the pickups, so works on DC.   Simply disconnecting those wires and inserting a decoder would be all that was needed.     (As I explained earlier).   

But, I expect the decoder is toast due to wiring things up the wrong way round.     

1 minute ago, kevo said:

Hi thanks for the replys  no it was only a few seconds  on my test track  and no power at all was aplied  . so it was quickly  taken off . 

If the track had DCC power, that's a toasted decoder.   Its not a matter of "turning up the throttle" - that's just a data signal of 1's and 0's.   The voltage and current is available at all times.  

Motor wires don't matter.  Other than motor may go the wrong way, ie. "forwards" when you want "backwards",  but that's easily dealt with. 

Basic testing and assembly.  

1)  does the motor work on DC (no decoder in sight).   Not sure ?  Use a 9v battery connected to the motor terminals.  If it spins, motor OK. 

2)  connect orange and grey Decoder wires to motor.   Connect temporarily the red+black decoder wires to *programming track*, and read back some CV's (eg. CV1, or CV8).  You should get a value which is not zero and not 255.   That indicates decoder responding to commands.    No sensible reply, decoder is toast, or wiring wrong this far.  

3)  If you pass step 2,  move the red+black temporary wires to the live DCC main track, and try running the decoder on its address (probably 3, you'd have read it in CV1).  Motor should spin up and down.  

4)  Now, connect the decoder red+black to the pickup screw terminals, and re-assemble the loco, being absolutely sure that no stray metal parts of the orange or grey can touch the metal of the chassis - ie. if you weren't tidy at the motor terminals, you could cause a problem.   

Hi nigel  just to let you know i followed them steps and big relife the decoder is responed ing  ☺️motor spins each way. i will give it a break this eve and try a reassemble the motor  .tomorrow  eve after work . just to re cap  i doint need to use tape etc  as it was dcc ready  is that right  thanks  kevin 

12 hours ago, kevo said:

Hi nigel  just to let you know i followed them steps and big relife the decoder is responed ing  ☺️motor spins each way. i will give it a break this eve and try a reassemble the motor  .tomorrow  eve after work . just to re cap  i doint need to use tape etc  as it was dcc ready  is that right  thanks  kevin 

That's good progress.     I'd have a bit of tape around the orange/grey wires at the motor brush connections to be certain they can't touch anything when things are assembled.  (I'd have used heat-shrink on the wires for that, but that's more complication).    

If you have a multi-meter, you should be able to show no connection between the motor brushes and the motor body.  

Then move to the next assembly stages.   You should be able to have assembled chassis, with the decoder red/black not wired to chassis, and test that with the "lash up" contacts.   And then finally, connect the red/black to the chassis block - could even do that checking one wire at a time, with the other wire going to the lash-up connections to prove things, provided you keep your "red/black" to track arrangements very clear in your head.  

Hi  Nigel Please to tell you  its all working 👍. realy greatfull for your help and advice . and it runs nice and smooth . thanks again . kevin 

• Thanks 1