Bachmann electrical NEM coupling bars

andyman7

I was wondering if/when Bachmann or perhaps a niche supplier might be able to offer an aftermarket substitute for the electrical NEM coupling bar as used on various Bachmann EMU and DMU models. The most recently tooled models such as the 158 and 117 have a multi pin coupling plug-and-socket which is fiddly but bearable - but I really dislike the fiddly and delicate 'bar' type used on the CEPs, the EPBs, the 150s and various other models. Four car consists are a nightmare to assemble and decouple.

Given that these fit into a standard NEM socket with two electrical strips, I can't help thinking that is must be possible to make a magnetic coupling that fits the socket and is electrically conductive to allow vehicles to be easily set up and parted. I'm just putting this out there in case anyone has though of the idea, maybe tried to design something or indeed knows of an obscure provider! 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi,

I've thought about the idea of a twin electrically conductive magnet pair based coupling to replace the Bachmann ones.

A thing to check is can there be enough pull with two small magnets as opposed to one large one on a Hunt magnetic coupling?.

The other thing is attaching wires to the magnets without going near the curie temperature of the magnets and damaging them. Perhaps small wires can be quickly soldered to the Nickel housing of the magnets so the magnets don't get too hot.

I bought some small powerful magnets with wires attached many moons ago but I haven't seen them for sale since then.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a coupling that looks like what you need - REE Modeles XB-934.  Couple of links to it here. May be out of stock at present it would seem though. 

https://www.reynaulds.com/products/REE-Modeles/XB-934.aspx

And a Youtube video about it too -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qFYqMBEmEU

I'd be interested too as I have several Bachmann EMUs. 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

Thanks, they prove the concept. Ideally what I want is a version that rather than having free wires can replicate the tabs that make contact with the connectors within the Bachmann pocket. I might try and have a play with these suggestions if I can justify the cost on experimental grounds

Edited by andyman7

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Thanks, they prove the concept. Ideally what I want is a version that rather than having free wires can replicate the tabs that make contact with the connectors within the Bachmann pocket. I might try and have a play with these suggestions if I can justify the cost on experimental grounds

Would be interested to see how you get on. Ordinary couplings, such as the Roco 40270, can be used in the 4-CEPs but you lose the electrical connection. So these conductive ones will fit and not be troubled by the connectors in the NEM pockets. All you would need to do is connect the wires internally and hence could be reversible.

One issue would be the coupling lengths. I use the class 101 conductive couplings in both my 4-CEPs and Kernow 205s as they provide much better close coupling. The 4-CEP corridors touch on straight track, for example. The 2-EPB coupling is shorter than the 101 but provides the correct close coupling.

The VN5017 retails for £21-25 for 3 pairs which is not bad for a full 4-CEP but they're out of stock everywhere. Viessman list them on their website so it would seem they're not discontinued.  Can't find the REE couplings anywhere and they're not listed on the REE website.

• Like 1

This is the magnetic coupling I designed for Athearn HO scale Bombardier cars. Without going into too many of the specifics, the key points I discovered were:

The magnets are superglued in place but I had to solder the wires to small track pins that actually float in their housings so the head is attracted to the magnet- an interference fit was too unreliable. 

Magnets are 2mm and are more than enough to hold the train together - the couplings are polarised so can only couple one way but the coaches have each end labelled anyway so this isn't a problem.

They will separate on sharp curves (less than 2' radius) without derailing, I could widen the slot in the coach to allow them to pivot more but they would still have limitations and the train still stays coupled.

My lights were 5v LED strips so at a reasonable voltage and brightness you would see each coach was successively dimmer. The cure for this was to increase the supply voltage and add a 100 ohm resistor so the additional 1 ohm drop through each coupling was less noticeable.

PXL_20240126_094353178.jpg.01c5a30adc421b8819a450fde995a607.jpg

PXL_20240126_094411234.jpg.f1ea2bf43e55105abd6dc65a58a146ea.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2