Where do Account Pre-Order entries go when dispatched? No access to a courier tracking number...

97403_Ixion

Hi,

I am hoping someone may already know the answers to this...

I placed a RoS Pre-Order online recently and as usual received an order number in the form WEB-xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx.

Today, I received (two...) dispatch e-mails saying the items were on their way - so far, great!

The e-mail says the order was sent by Parcel Force but no tracking number was provided.

So... I went back to the RoS Account Pre-Order section and as you might expect, the WEB-xx... entry number had disappeared.

However, when I checked the Orders section, it was not there either....

I then used the 'Chat' option, opted to 'Track my order...' (or similar), to which the bot replied that the WEB-xx... number was not a valid order number.

Without the Courier tracking number, I don't know what day or when the item is arriving (other than likely a few days...).

Additionally, I have no way to contact the Courier firm and arrange a delivery change, should that be necessary. 

TWO questions:

1.  Is there a way to see dispatched Pre-Order details within the Account pages?

2.  Is there a way to determine a Courier tracking number from the Accounts page?

EDIT:  Regarding the Courier tracking number, I received a text from Parcel Force a while after commenting, though it would be handy to list it in the RoS confirmation e-mail (if possible).  Still curious to know if completed Pre-Orders are visible somewhere in the Accounts pages... can someone advise?  Note - not an unhappy customer, just asking advice from others.

Thanks,

Ixion.

Edited by 97403_Ixion
Update

3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I just send them an e-mail for the tracking id (critical for me abroad in post Brexit world where import duties need to be watched).

They normally reply the same day.

Thanks JSpencer.

I normally would do that but I was expecting a delivery imminently but not sure if it would be delivered Saturday or Monday... turns out it was Monday, today.  Saturday could have been difficult due to some issues at home, but as it was gone closing time, just wondered if anyone knew if there was another way to find out as the web-bot was no help at all!

I very much appreciate your response though - and the package was something to do with Cavalex!!

8 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Thanks JSpencer.

I normally would do that but I was expecting a delivery imminently but not sure if it would be delivered Saturday or Monday... turns out it was Monday, today.  Saturday could have been difficult due to some issues at home, but as it was gone closing time, just wondered if anyone knew if there was another way to find out as the web-bot was no help at all!

I very much appreciate your response though - and the package was something to do with Cavalex!!

True. Sadly in the post covid world, we do not easily get to choose when something is delivered now.....

You are welcome;

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the Rails pre order system has not been updated and has deficiencies.  The 'In stock' system was updated a couple of years ago.

The pre order system does not generate the Tracking delivery ref to the customer. I have to phone to get it. The order also disappears from your pre order listing, so there is no historical record on line, for the customer. Also, from Jan 2023, the pre order system wouldn't accept my Mastercard pre orders. According to my bank, some security changes were not being reflected in the Braintree request to them, so the pre order credit card request was denied. Braintree is the card processor that Rails use for pre orders, whereas In Stock purchases are via Shopify. I have discussed these issues with Rails about three occasions, and I am told every time that a system upgrade is planned. Still waiting.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I experienced these challenges myself recently. Hadn't noticed a charge vs my credit card for a pre-order of Rapido wagons but had no visibility of my pre-order being converted to an order until the stock was dispatched a few days later and I got an e-mail saying the order had been sent. That e-mail also referred to three items I had pre-orders which had not yet arrived from the manufacturer, so it could be a little confusing in figuring out what was sent and what wasn't.

A small improvement would be to include a link to the tracking information in that e-mail. Ideally, it would be great to see the pre-order 'transferred' to the list of fulfilled orders. Otherwise, there is no record of my order on the web site.

Edited by Jon Harbour
Added info.
  • Like 4

On 26/03/2024 at 04:02, Jon Harbour said:

I experienced these challenges myself recently. Hadn't noticed a charge vs my credit card for a pre-order of Rapido wagons but had no visibility of my pre-order being converted to an order until the stock was dispatched a few days later and I got an e-mail saying the order had been sent. That e-mail also referred to three items I had pre-orders which had not yet arrived from the manufacturer, so it could be a little confusing in figuring out what was sent and what wasn't.

A small improvement would be to include a link to the tracking information in that e-mail. Ideally, it would be great to see the pre-order 'transferred' to the list of fulfilled orders. Otherwise, there is no record of my order on the web site.

Oh, I agree!

A Pre-Order is effectively a promise from an individual to accept continuation of the request to purchase an item when it item arrives in stock, albeit on trust that it fulfills the description.  In my opinion, a supplier should make this 'contract' as such, visible between the two parties up to and after fulfillment, so that it's understood status can be demonstrated at all times.

On Rail's website, moving it from PreOrder to Order would make perfect sense for the customer and consequently where I looked first.  I was particularly hoping for a tracking number, like I receive with most orders from the majority of suppliers, so that I can determine which day it would arrive.  In fairness, the courier service did make contact later that day, so nothing went missing in the end.

To give Rails fair room to comment, we don't know how difficult it may be in (their?) software.  Also, we do not know how far along a replacement/upgraded system is, though I would hope it's not too far away now...

I always keep meticulous records of all orders I place (with all retailers), including several other details of the advert, etc., so that should I have a complaint, I have plenty of records to fall back on.

To be fair, I have found Rails a good supplier and continue purchasing from them happily.  My only gripe currently is that of pre-orders disappearing with no trace.

Thanks,

Ixion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

To be fair, I have found Rails a good supplier and continue purchasing from them happily.  My only gripe currently is that of pre-orders disappearing with no trace.

Thanks,

Ixion.

Totally agree - Rails are a very reliable supplier - some minor tweaks on the pre-order process would make all the dfiference!