Relay coil too high a resistance

Hello

I purcahsed a bi-stable flip flop unit from China on ebay for not a lot for an intended projecty . It has a single 5 volt coil latching relay and each time the unit is triggered the relay contacts flip. Unfortunately the supplied relay is far too big being a 10amp model so I acquired a 2amp one. However that has a coikl with a resistance of 144 ohms whereas the 10amp one is 70 ohms. I have tried without success a resistor in parallel.  Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Could you give a link of the 2A version?

If not, perhaps a photo?

Adding a resister in parallel will, at worst, reduce the current available for the relay coil to operate, and at best, do nothing! (..depending on supply..)

Think of it as replacing the resister with another 144 Ohm coil, adding the second coil would not get the first coil working would it?

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Heres a photo of the cropped PCB once I had removed the overlarge relay

croppedpcb.jpg.653fb1742b1c76857c9121b41f0d7def.jpg

To check I had not damaged anything in the desoldering I reattched by test leads the original relay and it worked.  Have checked the 2A relay on a 5v supply and it works fine.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

I think the simple answer is that you have bought a "latching" relay as the replacement to replace a "bog standard", (but bigger), original relay.

The smaller replacement relay is not compatible with the circuit on the PCB.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Hello

I purcahsed a bi-stable flip flop unit from China on ebay for not a lot for an intended projecty . It has a single 5 volt coil latching relay and each time the unit is triggered the relay contacts flip. Unfortunately the supplied relay is far too big being a 10amp model so I acquired a 2amp one. However that has a coikl with a resistance of 144 ohms whereas the 10amp one is 70 ohms. I have tried without success a resistor in parallel.  Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Mike

Since the resistance is higher, that means the voltage required will be higher. I suggest that you try a 12 Volt DC supply and see if that works, before you try attaching anything to the circuit board.

As others have said, adding a resistor in parallel with reduce the power available, not increase it.

The PCB regulates to 5 volt and the relays have 5 volt coils. I had connected a variable PSU which I supplied 12v to the PCB.

2 hours ago, SHMD said:

I think the simple answer is that you have bought a "latching" relay as the replacement to replace a "bog standard", (but bigger), original relay.

Flip your right, I thought the original was a latching relay. I'll dig out a normal one.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1