Scratched rail

While removing paint off rails after weathering, I was in need of something a little stronger than just my usual cleaning methods of WD40 contact cleaner on a cotton bud (which I’m seeing great success with).

I reached for a new woodland scenics pad that is designed for heavy dirt (a leftover one from when my dad used to use on our old layout when I was a kid), ‘perfect’  I thought, but after using it ive noticed it has left a light marring on the track - tiny tiny scratches you can’t even feel but just see with the naked eye. So basically a track rubber then - which is something I tried to avoid, so I’m a bit annoyed. I thought this wouldn’t be that harsh, as it’s literally designed for this.

This is a brand new layout and now some of the track is scratched. It’s only a small layout and in N gauge so cleaning it isn’t a complete pain in the neck.

My question, is there a good way to improve the surface / rail head or will these light scratches be ok? I’ll just avoid any more use of these abrasive things in the future!

I’ve since seen most use a block of wood to remove paint which I’ll do next time I add some further weathering. 

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Benatkinsonuk said:

is there a good way to improve the surface / rail head or will these light scratches be ok?

Very VERY fine wet & dry paper will polish the railhead to better than new condition.

Andi

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Benatkinsonuk said:

Hi Andi,

Thanks, what a relief. I will look out for some P20000 then!

Ben

Try toothpaste or JIF creme surface cleaner. Both are very fine abrasives.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tested every inch of track today with a loco and no running issues whatsoever which is a relief. Although I am interested at polishing the track (not as a regular thing!!!) - might experiment on some track and various ultra fine abrasives and report my findings…

Edited by Benatkinsonuk

Cosmetic shops do nail polishing pads with 4 different grades on each side for the cost of pennies. I use them on my n gauge track with success. I wipe the lifted dirt off the polish pads with lighter fluid. I then use the WD40 contact cleaner on the rail head. I get good smooth slow running. 

Edited by woodyfox
  • Like 1

This may upset some - On my OO (and O) layouts - all peco track i use rough sanding blocks to both clean and roughen up the surface, especially on inclines. I find locos run and certainly haul better with little or no slipping.

Some of my track is 40 years old and has had this treatment occasionally. No problems.

I also use a touch of contact cleaner also (Servisol or WD40 spray).

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

This may upset some - On my OO (and O) layouts - all peco track i use rough sanding blocks to both clean and roughen up the surface, especially on inclines. I find locos run and certainly haul better with little or no slipping.

Some of my track is 40 years old and has had this treatment occasionally. No problems.

I also use a touch of contact cleaner also (Servisol or WD40 spray).

Brit15

Same here,  I find scratched rail surfaces grip better especially on Steel track. There was a guy in RM or MRC magazine 40 years er probably nearer 55 years ago who found greatly improved traction when he let his steel track rust, he had to use wander leads direct to the motor though.   I clean the gauge corner with abrasive pads on the outside branch  (Nickle Silver track) and used to clean the gauge corner on curves on my currently inoperable garden battery powered line as stock would derail if the gauge corner became dirty 

• Like 2