Modelling 3ft NG in 4mm using TT track

MarcD

• RMweb Premium

The first example of this that I ever saw was at the Weymouth 5 day summer exhibition in 1966 or 67. A sceniced small oval, with single siding, of semi-buried Triang TT track with a Kitmaster or Airfix pug on a 12mm gauge chassis. I can still remember it vividly and also a small notice about the IoM inspiration behind it. On leaving the exhibition we turned left across the bridge to the library where there was a book on the IoM with pictures of so many different means of transport.  Thanks for stimulating the memory. Given the time that has passed, perhaps I should have prefaced the above with a: 'IIRC'.

• 2 months later...

I have used Bemo HOm track on my Irish 4mm 3' narrow gauge layout for the best part of 20 years. The track produced for Bemo by Shinohara a Japanese manufacturer was probably the simplest option for modelling Irish 3' narrow gauge track using a proprietary track system before the advent on the Peco HOm.

I had used Tillig HOm track and points in the fiddle yard but have since replaced the Tillig points with Peco as my locos and stock tended to de-rail at the frogs, though I have not experienced similar problems with the Peco HOm replacements in the fiddle yard or the Bemo points in the station area.

My feeling is that sleeper spacing and cross section on HOm track is closer to scale for Irish 3' narrow gauge than the sleeper spacing and cross section of  standard gauge TT track.

IMG_1763.jpg.c172d9b3f2ab130473db2bd7339cd75c.jpg

3T with a Cattle Special at Keadue 2021 Bemo HOm track point 1:6 crossing angle

IMG_1766-Copy.jpg.d86c6096b1dcafddbc0e8113a6bb64d9.jpg

3T on the Tramway section, convey of photographers cars! Track on this section is Peco HOm unballasted/unweathered installed as a replacement following damage to the original

IMG_1767.jpg.8cc00aa56438ee1adde242a387fedf0f.jpg

Almost a close-up of Peco HOm track and point at fiddle yard approach. The Ground Throw (point lever) no longer performs a function since the replacement of a Tilling point but haven't gotten round to replacing it!

Probably use HOm if I ever get round to building another Irish 3' gauge layout or a Continental HOm layout Bemo/Shinohara track has been unavailable for several years and more fragile than Peco HOm

Edited by John M
  • Like 9

Have a train of Foxrock Models C&L cattle wagons built several years ago. Very nice but I have not got round to fitting couplings, perhaps some day 🤔

IMG_2802.jpg.e446662349a4102f8723230862d22df8.jpg

The decals were a custom order from Studio Scale Models

Edited by John M
  • Like 3